Adding Some More Fish To My 60 Gallon "african" Tank

Wobbegong

Well Known
Reaction score
The State that is probably on fire, California
Experience
2 years
I am looking to add a few more fish to my 60 gallon african tank, the dimensions are 40" 12.5" and 25". I do a 30% water change every week to keep the nitrates down and there are a lot of plants in the tank, the most recent are some aponogeton bulbs. Right now in the tank there are:
6 congo tetras
1 Synodontis euptera
1 female kribensis
2 blue gularis killfish
1 blue gourami
1 SAE
I am going to move the blue gouramI to another tank and possible the synodontis.
I know I can't fit all of these species but I am considering the following:
Synodontis flavitaeniatus(If I move the synodontis I already have)
A jewel cichlid
an african butterfly cichlid
an african bush fish
a few african glass catfish
Lionhead cichlid
Nanochromis cichlid
microctenopoma fasciolatum

Scubagirl1

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
HI your glass cats are a very peaceful fish and like schools of 6-10. Cichlids are very aggressive towards every fish.So I don't think they would fair well in the same tank.

Killifish would tolerate the water requirements but again ..wouldn't fair well with the cichlids.

have you thought of a bichir fish? Unusual fish but would fair well with aggressive fish.You would have to get advice about him being in the tank with your SAE.

Others on here maybe be able to answer your question better.

Scubagirl1

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had puffer fish and loved them. I have hard time keeping them alive. :-( charlie was a dwarf puffer and I didn't know they had to be dewormed so I lost him. Then I had a south american puffer and I didn't know about the teeth trimming. Finally I had George my leopard puffer and I didn't know he had been attacked by a pleco before I bought him. Seen the scar later. But it had gotten too much of his coating taken off so I lost him. I was devastated. They are so cute and interactive. They learn to know you. My leopard was bigger and he would let me pet him on the head! So taking a break from the puffers for a bit. But I'll have them again.

Scubagirl1

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wobbegong said:
I am just worried about the pufferfish taking chunks out of my other fish, Maybe I could get one for a pond I'm setting up.
Maybe. Dwarf puffers are about 1-2 inches so pretty small. Also known as pea puffers. South American are about maybe 4-5 inches and the leopards are a little bigger.

If you have a pond you could consider an MBU puffer. They get a lot bigger. South american and leopards will eventually need brackish water

New Threads