Adding Shrimp To A Fish Tank

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by Smallfish, May 15, 2019.

1. Smallfish New Member Member

I have a cycled 36 gal tank with 3 snails 2 gomuaris 1 blue ram 2 neon tetras 3 guppies I was thinking about adding some shrimp. What would he the best kind and how many ?

2. ystrout Well Known Member Member

Cherry shrimp or amano shrimp are great.

Amanos get a bit bigger and eat a lot of algae but won't breed since they only breed in brackish water.

Cherry shrimp are awesome. They are cool looking and will breed like crazy. Your gouramis will love hunting the babies and juveniles. They come in many colors (red, blue, yellow, and a variation of designs).

3. richie.p Well Known Member Member

The cherries will be gourami's food

4. imba Well Known Member Member

Amanos would probably have a better chance of survival given you have rams and gouramis

5. Smallfish New Member Member

How many should I get to keep a good colony

6. richie.p Well Known Member Member

If your going Ammanos get 1/2 dos they live longer than cherries as well

7. ystrout Well Known Member Member

I bought 3 amano shrimp and 8 cherry chrimp of varying colors for my 75 gallon community tank last August.

Now I have 3 amanos and over 200-300 or so cherry shrimp. Every time I clean out my canister filter, I put 200 more babies back into the tank although most get eaten in short order.

My spotted congo puffer and gourami love hunting and eating the cherry shrimp juvelines and babies. My gourami spends at least 5 hours a day hunting and I know for certain he has fun doing it and it brings him a ton of joy. My puffer hunts every morning looking for snails and shrimp. I noticed that they don't touch the full grown shrimp though. I've seen the gourami and my pearl danios try a couple of times a while ago but they soon realize it's too much work and just go for the babies instead since there is plenty of them. The puffer could easily take down the adults but she still doesn't go for the big ones for some reason.

I've even populated my pea puffer tank with about 5 of the babies. 2 survived to adulthood now those puffers don't touch them. The shrimp even go for the same bloodworms the peas are chasing. They'll also do this super cute thing where they "bounce" off a fish's head. If the shrimp are swimming or walking towards something and the fish is in the way, they don't go around.... It's hilarious.

8. Smallfish New Member Member

Well I got 3 amano shrimp and a golden mystery snail. Havent seen the shrimp since I put them in lol guess they are good at hiding. Thank you all for the recommendation. Still want to get aome cherry shrimp for my fish to hunt the lfs I went too didnt have any.

9. Smallfish New Member Member

Well one of my shrimp died today he was laying in his back and I can't find the other 2. What do you think would cause it to die?

10. Smallfish New Member Member

I acculamated him like I do my fish slowly and my snail and my sons ghost shrimp I got for his tank are fine

11. Smallfish New Member Member

12. ystrout Well Known Member Member

Having any ammonia and nitrite is enough to kill the shrimp.

13. richie.p Well Known Member Member

When you say you acclimatised like fish what did that entail

14. Smallfish New Member Member

I floated them in a bag in the tank they were going in for 20 mins or so than added a half cup of the tank water waited another 20 and added another half cup waited another 20 mins and use my net to take them out and put them in tank

15. richie.p Well Known Member Member

That will shock shrimp an you'll have moulting problems and death can occur very quickly, they need to be dripped for a few hrs so the water they came in is equal to that they are going in, that's not just temperature but all other perameters which cant be done the way you did it, it must bd done slowly so they can adjust

16. Smallfish New Member Member

How do you drip them. What's the best way. I'm a rookie.

17. Smallfish New Member Member

Even if I'm using prime ?

18. richie.p Well Known Member Member

This is how you drip them, theres no need to use prime in this process what's important is bringing the shrimp water equal to yours, you put the shrimp into a container like mine with airline from the tank in your case you'll have to tie a knot in the airline so the water comes through at 1 to 2 drops per second,as the container fills remove some water and keep dripping for at least 2hrs, the gh in your lfs could be 20 and yours 8 so by doing this the shrimp acclimate to your water, its not only gh but all perameters are being changed slowly not to shock your shrimp, it would be a good investment to get the API gh/kh test kit,

Attached Files:

19. Smallfish New Member Member

Ok thank you for the advice I do have a gh/ kh test kit

20. Smallfish New Member Member

Well I drip acclumated 6 ghost shrimp last night just like you advised. And now this morning I cant find any of them just like the amanos. 2 of them were really big do you think my gouramis would have ate them in one night or are they just good hiders. I do have some hiding spots and small places they can get in. Idk I moved some of the hiding spots before when I couldn't find my amanos but no luck. I'm puzzeled

Last edited: May 18, 2019