Adding seashells to a freshwater tank Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by AspiringAquarist, Mar 17, 2010.

1. A

AspiringAquarist Valued Member Member

I got some nice seashells at my local dollar store, can I place them in my 20 G tank as a decoration?
    Do I need to boil them or just rinse them? Thanks

2. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

I would be careful, if they are real seashells they will raise your pH.

3. OP
    OP
    A

If I do weekly water changes and gravel vacuums, should this still be a problem? thanks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think anyone would really do daily water changes and gravel vacs..... you may think that's an option, but this little thing called life gets in the way. :shock:

They're definitely real shells? Do they have any kind of lacquer on them or are they completely natural?

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

All shells can raise the PH as they all contain high levels of calcium.

If you only have one or two smaller shells they shouldn't have much of an effect on the water parameters. If you have more than that though they could have a significant impact. Boil them & give them a good scrub then put them in. Monitor the KH & PH closely to see how much if any they change those parameters. Shells disolve pretty quickly so it may even pay to test them over a week in a covered 1gal container of water. If the KH or PH change significantly over a week within the container, you are probably best leaving them out of your tank. You could coat them with Polyurethane Varnish to stop them effecting water chemistry but it is very difficult to get all of the shell coated properly.

6. OP
    OP
    A

OOPS, I meant weekly water changes.

It's just that I've gotten so used to doing daily water changes because of high ammonia, LOL.

Sorry about that :(

I'm not sure if they're real or not...the packaging wasn't very detailed and there doesn't seem to be a layer of gloss or something on it..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice