Adding Seachem Equilibrium is raising pH

yellowstonejackalope

I am remineralizing reverse osmosis (RO) water (pH=7, TDS =0) by adding Seachem Equilibrium and it is spiking the pH. It is definitely not supposed to do that. Seachem says it shouldn't and other people say it doesn't effect their pH. So I figured it was a weird mistake and I started over. I tested the RO water with my pH meter and it said 7, then I added Equilibrium and I watched the pH rise from 7 to 8.3. Then I thought maybe my pH meter is off so I used my API test kit but the API kit confirmed the pH is indeed 8.3 Has this happened to anyone else? Could I have received a bad batch of Equilibrium?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
You are right. This shouldn't be happening. I use Equilibrium in my very low in mineral tap water and it doesn't raise my pH at all. I have to think something other than Equilibrium is in the equilibrium container.

OP
Y

yellowstonejackalope

Thanks for the reply! I thought I was going crazy, I reached out to Seachem and they were going to test the batch that mine came from but I haven't heard back from them yet. It would be good to know before I buy more Equilibrium. If I don't hear back from them I may have to switch to something different but I'm not aware of other products. I'd have to look into it more.

New Threads