Adding Schooling Fish

Tinasunshinee

Reaction score
I just wanted opinions on adding some schooling fish to my 75 gallon, planted tank. I've got 3 ropefish, 3 emerald Cory's(I'd like to add 2 more), 3 angelfish (I'm getting 2 more of those), a bristle nose, and 2 clown pleacos. I also have one Molly left, I had 5 but they weren't getting along with each other and I couldn't catch him to get him out. I was thinking of adding some swordtails to the mix but I wanted some options on other possible fits. Definitely something pretty and that schools.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tinasunshinee said:
I just wanted opinions on adding some schooling fish to my 75 gallon, planted tank. I've got 3 ropefish, 3 emerald Cory's(I'd like to add 2 more), 3 angelfish (I'm getting 2 more of those), a bristle nose, and 2 clown pleacos. I also have one Molly left, I had 5 but they weren't getting along with each other and I couldn't catch him to get him out. I was thinking of adding some swordtails to the mix but I wanted some options on other possible fits. Definitely something pretty and that schools.
With a semI aggressive tank like yours is go for danios....ive had success keeping a school of giant danios in my large cichlid tank

OP
Tinasunshinee

Tinasunshinee

Reaction score
I had thought about it but I read that they are fin nippers and my one Angel has really long fins.

OP
Tinasunshinee

Tinasunshinee

Reaction score
The rummynose look interesting. I think I'll look into those too. I did like the zebra danios, I just don't want to have to separate fish because they can't get along.

Ernest Sacco

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tinasunshinee said:
I had thought about it but I read that they are fin nippers and my one Angel has really long fins.
That is possible....the cichlids usually scare them away with their presence alone...but I am not familiar with angels so I can't say for sure....maybe a smaller subspecies wouod work like zebras

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm pretty sure zebra danios prefer much cooler water than angels anyway.

Rummys are gorgeous and school very tightly! A big school of 15-20 look great in a 75!

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thr BN pleco would do better in cooler water than the angelfish who prefer their tank more around the 80 degree mark. It will simply result in the pleco having a shorter life to be in warmer water though.

Angels are best in even numbers. If you wanted more angels I would take your number to six and not five. That way they are less likely to single out one fish to be picked at.

Be careful with your ottos. They are so small, I have seen certain particularly mean angels pick them apart. Also they wouldnt mind some more company if you wanted to add a few more of them.

Swordtails aren't really schoolers. They'll hang together for a bit and then go off and do their own thing. Although if you were interested in them, the lyretail variants look amazing next to angels because it give them longer tails. However you need to see if your individual angels will tolerate it or if they would rather rip the swordtails up. Ive seen angels do both.

If you wanted schoolers for a 75 with angels, perhaps cherry barbs. Very peaceful, smaller barbs. There's alao numerous species of rasbora which are very peaceful.

OP
Tinasunshinee

Tinasunshinee

Reaction score
Nataku said:
Thr BN pleco would do better in cooler water than the angelfish who prefer their tank more around the 80 degree mark. It will simply result in the pleco having a shorter life to be in warmer water though.

Angels are best in even numbers. If you wanted more angels I would take your number to six and not five. That way they are less likely to single out one fish to be picked at.

Be careful with your ottos. They are so small, I have seen certain particularly mean angels pick them apart. Also they wouldnt mind some more company if you wanted to add a few more of them.

Swordtails aren't really schoolers. They'll hang together for a bit and then go off and do their own thing. Although if you were interested in them, the lyretail variants look amazing next to angels because it give them longer tails. However you need to see if your individual angels will tolerate it or if they would rather rip the swordtails up. Ive seen angels do both.

If you wanted schoolers for a 75 with angels, perhaps cherry barbs. Very peaceful, smaller barbs. There's alao numerous species of rasbora which are very peaceful.
Thanks! So far my angels have had zero interest in the otocinclus. I did get the bigger kind, so no one wanted to snack. I do need to add more of them I just wasn't sure what a good number would be. Maybe 6 angels would be a good number. I'm always afraid of putting too much in, I know I've got loads of room, I'm just not sure how much is too much. Also any suggestions on plants that my Cory's won't tear up? I'm really favoring the rummynose, they seem to be what I'm looking for.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The usual guide for angels is one or an even number. Since you want a group, keep an even number. But that's good news that they haven't decided to start snacking on anyone yet.

Plants a cory cat won't tear up are amazon swords and some of the tougher stalk plants. Also, look into floating plants. Cories spend most of their time on the bottom and so they leave these alone. Things like frogbit and water lettuce are good surface options.

OP
Tinasunshinee

Tinasunshinee

Reaction score
Thank you. I've got a massive Amazon sword and I just recently put in some pennywort. I hope it works out well. Now I just have to get.my ropefish to stop pulling up new plants before they get rooted well. Darn things will twin around them and just pull them right out.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom