Adding Schooling Fish To My 10 Gallon

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The current stock of my 10 gallon is 1 plakat marbled betta, and 1 female german blue ram. I definitely have enough biological filtration to support a larger bio-load. It's also heavily planted, however I'm not done with the plants quite yet:
IMG_3191.JPG

I want to add 6-8 ember tetras to the tank, but I'm wondering if there are any more colorful or interesting nano schooling fish that I haven't heard about? They have to be temperature compatible with the betta and GBR, so around the 78-84 degree range. They also shouldn't be aggressive or super nippy, I don't want to stress out either of the fish already in the tank. Thanks for any suggestions!

LHanna61

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
chilI rasboras could be interesting. There's a few option with them but they're super tiny so you could probably get away with 6 in the tank?

OP
DylanM

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LHanna61 said:
chilI rasboras could be interesting. There's a few option with them but they're super tiny so you could probably get away with 6 in the tank?
They stay less than 1", I'd probably do 7-9. I'm pretty confident with my filtration to handle a few more of these guys than the bare minimum. I wasn't familiar with them but they look awesome, even better than embers actually, thanks for the suggestion.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hugooo said:
Neon tuxedo guppies are GREAT, and so are platies and mollies!
Mollies get too big for a 10gal. They need 20 gallon or bigger.

Id go with guppies or endlers. Platies would be okay but you would only be able to have 3 or 4 as they have a high bioload.

Hugooo

Reaction score
NoodleKeeper said:

Id go with guppies or endlers. Platies would be okay but you would only be able to have 3 or 4 as they have a high bioload.
What's a bioload?

OP
DylanM

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NoodleKeeper said:

Lol this thread is over two weeks old, I already added 6 ember tetras which are doing great. Couldn't find the chilI rasboras anywhere near me, sadly. I see now I should have updated this thread once I got them to avoid any confusion, sorry. Besides, I wouldn't do guppies with my betta, I'm sure there would be aggression given their long, colorful tails.
Thanks everyone forthe input! I really wish I could have found the chili's. but the ember tetras are super awesome and colorful.

OP
DylanM

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hugooo said:
What's a bioload?
Depending on the size, filtration, and frequency/volume of water changes for an aquarium, a tank is only capable of keeping a certain amount of inhabitants (fish, invertebrates) alive and healthy; this is due to them producing toxic ammonia through their poop.

OP
DylanM

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fckf3yv.jpg

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics