Adding Schooling Fish To A Tank?

Sel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I was wondering, when adding a fish species that prefers to be in a group of six or more, how do you do it? Do you add the full six at once, or do you add two at a time? If you stock all at once, you might overload your cycle, but on the other hand, they've established their group. If you add two at a time, wouldn't they be stressed while you waited a week or so to add more to their group? I have a 29 gallon tank on order and down the road I want to have rasboras or cory cats in there.. but I don't know the proper way to introduce them.

Nrb4375

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Sel,

Once you get your tank setup, I would fishless cycle the tank for a while. To do this you need to add an ammonia source. The easiest way is to add some fish food each day, not a lot just as if you were feeding your fish. This will help to build up the beneficial bacteria in your filter and substrate. You will need to check your parameters ( ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) each day. Once you have nitrates around 10 ppm and nitrite and ammonia are at 0, you are good to add some fish. You can add these as you wish but I would start with two of each wait 2 weeks then add 2 more, etc until you get the number you want. Beneficial bacteria will become overloaded if you add all at once. They multiply based on the amount of food, so it can take a few weeks to handle the additional amount of waste. Schooling fish normally will not exclude new fish if you do them in pairs. They find like species and tag along. I have added cories and Barb's in small numbers and they all hang out in my 90 gallon.

Hope this helps!

-- NRB

OP
Sel

Sel

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have two male guppies hanging out in my 10 gallon and I'm planning on moving everything in it to the 29 gallon. I'm actually a bit nervous about it, heh! I'll have to put the old filter and the new filter both in the tank, I hope there's enough room with the lid. x_x My API master kit and gh/kh kit has finally shipped from Amazon and I can't wait to know what the heck my perimeters are. I was using strips before and they were driving me crazy.

smee82

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With schooling fish I just add 6 at a time

Racing1113

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I added 8 panda cories at the same time, didn't want to pay for shipping twice lol. But they were pretty little, I had a ton of extra media in my filter, and I did daily water changes with bottled bacteria for about a week. And my tank has been established for a while.

Racing1113

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You don't need to add Prime and stress coat. They both dechlorinate the water, and prime already has a stress coat in it. If you really want to bump up the stress coat, Seachem Stress Guard is a better option to use with Prime

abcdefghi

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Always just added the whole group at a time, never had any issues doing it that way. Just kept up on my usual water change schedule, feeding schedule etc.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom