Adding schooling fish to a not really Amazon biotope

daunicorn

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, my ten gallon "Amazon biotope" (which is not really a proper Amazon biotope due to the Indonesian snail, the Asian crypts, and all the other blatant cheating I've been doing lol) is ready for some schooling fish. It's been cycled for months, aqua scaped, and is pretty well established by now containing
1 tylomelania snail the size of my pinky nail and surprisingly doing very well despite the temperature
4 cherry shrimp, adding more soon
2 sparkling gourami, one male and one female (there's plenty of plants)
4 Pygmy cories
and around five Pygmy fry because they spawned a little while ago
and tons of plants and a piece of driftwood plus black sand, gravel under the sand, pretty stones and the filter and Java moss rope

anyways, since all the current occupants seem to be doing very well, I want to add a school of 7 ember Tetras. Would that overstock my tank? Another option I'm considering would be green neon tetras, but I'm not sure if they are too active for a ten like normal neons. I also could go with chilI rasboras, but I prefer the first two.

Also, feel free to suggest other schooling fish fit for my tank. Because I live in a huge city, I can usually get my hands on rare or unusual fish, so if you know any uncommon schooling fish that you think might fit, feel free to point them out. Thanks

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Adding any school would be overload on your tank.
Most schoolsare not recommended for a 10, maybe time to move up a size?

OP
D

daunicorn

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I already have a twenty gallon, just wondering if I could add to my ten gallon, it always looks so empty. I was under the impression that while most schools do require a larger tank, ember tetras and such will work in a ten gallon. Out of curiousity, would it overload the space or the filtration?

OP
D

daunicorn

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay back to the drawing board- do you think I could add another sparkling gouramI or a few more Pygmy cories? I don't need a school, I just want to be able to see my fish More.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have ember tetras and they would do fine in a 10 gal tank. IMO given your present stock I think you would be fine. They are very small, hardy, peaceful. pretty fish with a very small bioload. I wouldn't even count the shrimp or snails. Alison

Hayley1986

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Alison, I have embers in about the same size tank and they thrive. Lovely, peaceful fish that I think will go well in your tank. I wouldn't count the shrimp either, not with only having 4

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hayley1986 said:
I agree with Alison, I have embers in about the same size tank and they thrive. Lovely, peaceful fish that I think will go well in your tank. I wouldn't count the shrimp either, not with only having 4
If there weren't already cory and gouramis I would agree, but alasthere are.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I still think they are okay. There are 4 pigmy cories. Just my opinion. Alison

Hayley1986

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Agreed, if they were a bigger species of cory or tetra then I'd say no but I think Pygmy are ok. Each to their own though, everyone has their own opinion as to how they'd stock

Plecomaker

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hayley1986 said:
Agreed, if they were a bigger species of cory or tetra then I'd say no but I think Pygmy are ok. Each to their own though, everyone has their own opinion as to how they'd stock 
not just cory and tetras, snails and more importantly gourami. Overstocked.

Hayley1986

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did see the 2 gourami, I thought sparkling were quite small? Never mind, just my opinion, if I'm wrong then fair enough

New Threads