adding salt to the aquarium

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by scotgirl, Apr 10, 2010.

1. scotgirlNew MemberMember

Hi
    My LFS sold me some aquarium salt. Should i use it to help my sick mollie?
    I posted earlier in the week because all my fish were dying.

i read under the Mollie description page that Mollies like a little salt.

i also have 1 kuhli loach, 2 platys and 1 pepper cory (added to tank on Monday and still okay)

The mollie is from the original batch of fish added 2 weeks ago.(it is the only one left of 15 the pet store sold us - thats another story but we are understanding the start-up cycle better and hoping to save all the fish still in the tank)
    the Mollie was gasping at the top last weekend and spiralling but for the past couple of days has mostly been listless and resting on the bottom.
    Breathing seems better.
    Will still eat and periodically swims around.

i have been changing the water daily while for the past week while nitrites have been high.

should i add some of the salt for the mollie?
    please advise :)
    thanks

ammonia 0
    nitrites-= highest on chart
    last night the pet store tested water and nitrates are starting to show.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

3. bass master

bass masterWell Known MemberMember

loaches and cories really hate salt..... definitely do not add it especially because your problems are almost certainly from your nitrite levels. Nitrite is highly toxic to fish, you should read about the nitrogen cycle. Most people do not recommend cycling with fish, and the fish you have chosen arent really the hardiest fish for cycling. I would keep up the daily water changes and maybe change up to 50% of the water and treat the water with prime to take care of some of some of the nitrite. What are you treating your water with right now?

edit: ninja'd by lucy :;nin2

4. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Your cory can't handle salt. If they are in the same tank, the salt is a no-go. But I agree with Lucy, salt won't solve your issues, cycling the tank will. Good luck. :)

edit: ninja'ed...again. People are fast today.

5. OP
    OP
    s

scotgirlNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone for clarifying the salt issue for me.
    So much new information i don't want to interpret it all wrong so my sincere appreciation for your feedback.
    I have been following your advice from earlier in the week and the cycle seems to be in phase 2. I would never, never cycle with fish again - it is a terrible thing to do to the fish and heartbreaking to watch. (i didn't even realize there was a cycle until i stumbled across this site).
    this site is a godsend and i really appreciate all the time everyone takes to reply and offer advice.

6. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

If your water parameters were off, the Molly could be damaged, in some cases permanently, and just hanging on longer than the others.

7. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

I suggest using amquel+ daily along with a water change till the nitrites go away completely.

8. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Sadly, that's true with many of us, you're not alone.
    We managed to kill 5 guppies before we learned about cycling a tank. :(

9. mitch

mitchNew MemberMember

mollies need salt in the tank. some fish dont do well with salt as you have read. tou need to make a dessision on what kind of fish to keep

10. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

A lot of people keep mollies without using any salt, including many fish stores,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice