adding salt for mollys Help

1. Damian19

Damian19 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i just wanted to know if it would be alright to add marine salt to my tank with mollys.im not sure if my other tank inhabitants would be able to handle the salinity.i know its supposed to be good for the mollys though.i have 6 glowfish,2 head tail light tetras,2 nerite snails,ludwigia,banana plant,cryptocoryne and a red tiger lotus.oh yeah and i have 3 mollys

2. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,175
    Your other inhabitants are not brackish water fish and I think adding marine salt would probably kill them. Your mollies will be fine in fresh water,

3. OP
    OP
    Damian19

Damian19 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    O ok thanks

4. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +35
    +1 Leaving the mollys freshwater shouldn't hurt anything.

5. davebowden

davebowden Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    salt

No, dont do it !!!!! Mollies will be fine in freash water:;smack

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Good morning,

Agreed with other members above. Your Snails and Plants will not like the salt at all.

Ken

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Livebearers/Molly section of the forum. :animal0028:

7. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Marine salt is for brackish tanks. If you wanted salt for a freshwater tank, you'd have to add Freshwater aquarium salt.

No, they don't require it.

8. Fall River

Fall River Member Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I also agree with everyone else. My mollies are doing fine in purely fresh water.
    I believe it's a misconception that mollies are brackish. I think they are freshwater estuary dwellers that often travel downstream to brackish water in search of food. Feel free to correct me here, people. :) Any fish caught in brackish is labeled as such.
    The same can be said for saltwater species that travel UPstream. They're caught in brackish water and sold as brackish fish, even though they are just "visiting" that area. They don't usually survive very long without the salinity they require.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/molly/11469-molly-caresheet.html