Adding pothos inside tanks?

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I haven't been able to go to the pet store because I don't live close. But my mom has pothos plants all over the house. Can I take pieces and and put them in my tanks? Will the "blood" From the pieces hurt my fish?? I cut them already but I'm scared they will die if I don't do anything with them right away

The 4 pieces lol

Attachments

Leilio

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The simple answer is, yes, you can. Many people add pothos as a way to lower tank nitrate levels. Just secure them on the top of the aquarium, and you should see lush root growth in no time.

ryang85

Reaction score
I have tons of pothos on my tanks and no issues. I watch my syndontis chew on them daily. If you have a larger tank and want a nitrogen absorbing plant ive found swiss cheese plant works much better.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently was given Golden Pothos to root in my tanks, but I didn't have much success, even putting it in the filters the stems rotted. Hope you are luckier than I. One thing I will pass on is if you have cats or dogs, chewing on the plant will poison them. I had a sizeable vet bill.. :( and had to remove Pothos because of the cats. Golden Pothos

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Leilio said:
The simple answer is, yes, you can. Many people add pothos as a way to lower tank nitrate levels. Just secure them on the top of the aquarium, and you should see lush root growth in no time.
HOPEFULLY!!! Thank you! Lol

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Elkwatcher said:
I recently was given Golden Pothos to root in my tanks, but I didn't have much success, even putting it in the filters the stems rotted. Hope you are luckier than I. One thing I will pass on is if you have cats or dogs, chewing on the plant will poison them. I had a sizeable vet bill.. :( and had to remove Pothos because of the cats. Golden Pothos
Aw I hope mine grow too, the green makes my black betta Rian stand out better with his black sand/cheesy colorful rock substrate. That's weird that they won't cooperate with you. I'm actually not sure what type my mom has. They all look the same to me lol
One of my cats sometimes chews on them but only when they hang down. She has never gotten sick before though. But we do try keep them away from her all the time.
Thank you!

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
ryang85 said:
I have tons of pothos on my tanks and no issues. I watch my syndontis chew on them daily. If you have a larger tank and want a nitrogen absorbing plant ive found swiss cheese plant works much better.
What are syndontis?
I now need Swiss cheese plants for my 20 gallon lol they look cool and the name is funny lol

ryang85

Reaction score
Doomheadthebetta said:
What are syndontis?
I now need Swiss cheese plants for my 20 gallon lol they look cool and the name is funny lol
Whoops spelling error, I meant Synodontis. They are funny little catfish. I have a featherfin but there are many types and great with african cichlids or anything aggressive. Little guys have a big personality and will eat everything.

And the swiss cheese plants will stall for a week or two then grow super fast with sufficient lighting, mine went from a dinky little plant with 5 inch palms to a small tree with 12 wide palms in about 2 months. Just wash the roots in tap water and throw them in a basket clamped on the side of the tank. The roots keep the catfish happy when they grow out of the little baskets.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I grow pothos out of my filter in my 10 gallon and I love them. The roots kept growing into the media... So I got rid of the media... :hilarious: I only keep a pre-filter sponge over the intake valve now. I admittedly don't test my water nearly as much as I should, but every time I have, it's been 0, 0, 0. Granted, the tank is also heavily planted (aka, highly overgrown). The pothos do a wonderful job, even though half of it is growing in the dark between two desks!

20191203_010515.jpg
20191203_010610.jpg

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fishies99 said:
I make custom planters for all my tanks with plants that love wet roots. They soak up nitrates like no other. Here's one I just built recently.
That Anthurium is nice!

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
ryang85 said:
Whoops spelling error, I meant Synodontis. They are funny little catfish. I have a featherfin but there are many types and great with african cichlids or anything aggressive. Little guys have a big personality and will eat everything.

And the swiss cheese plants will stall for a week or two then grow super fast with sufficient lighting, mine went from a dinky little plant with 5 inch palms to a small tree with 12 wide palms in about 2 months. Just wash the roots in tap water and throw them in a basket clamped on the side of the tank. The roots keep the catfish happy when they grow out of the little baskets.
Aww!! I love catfish so much! I was going to get some moth cats for my bettas but they can't live in the same temperatures as the betta. :/
So I can plant them in the tank? I have a lid on my 20 gallon do have to take the lid off so it can grow? Or put it in the filter? They look like giant plants lol

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I put the pothos in the tank hoping they will grow. I'd put them in the filter but my bettas need something in their tanks for now. peppito(blue veil tail) and Rian(black) they don't have filters yet but I'm going to get them when I get Cheese(created gecko) a new enclosure. Doom head is also getting a new filter I hate the one he has lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also sorry you get to see part of my room in Rian's picture

Attachments

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just keep in mind that the leaves will eventually rot if they stay underwater, so approach that method at your own risk. The best way is to keep the roots underwater (you only need one or two nodes to stay wet for roots to develop; better luck with two) and keep the leaves out of the tank.

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
SM1199 said:
Just keep in mind that the leaves will eventually rot if they stay underwater, so approach that method at your own risk. The best way is to keep the roots underwater (you only need one or two nodes to stay wet for roots to develop; better luck with two) and keep the leaves out of the tank.
I might take them out then and buy actual aquatic plants lol at least until I get the new filters. They keep falling in the tank. Or I'll just add them to the gecko enclosure lol

Doomheadthebetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
FinalFins said:
Also if the tank is heavily planted pothos will rob the tank of nutrients.
They're the only plants in the tanks right now. But I'm going to buy some decorations that are not plants right now! Lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom