Adding Platies? 30 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FriarThomasIII, Apr 17, 2018.

1. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

So recently I moved my Paradise Fish out of the 30 gallon into the 10 gallon, his new permanent home, because the other fish were stressing him out and he was losing color and hiding all the time (now he feels much better alone, much darker and nicer coloration that's getting better :) ) so now I have some free space. I was thinking of adding either normal platies or swordtail platies that could potentially breed (the danios would eat the fry, but I'm comfortable with that and also have a breeder net box to keep them in). Would I be able to add 3 female platies with one male platy with 6 danios and 6 corydoras? Would they harass ghost shrimp? Would I have space for maybe otocinclus? Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT; Are the swordtails sterile? I know swordtail mollies are sterile due to the breeding gondopelum (spelling?) being different?

2. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

I think that should be fine. I can't say on the oto though, I don't know enough about them. I don't think they would harass your ghost shrimp.

I don't know enough about live bearers and their fertility/anatomy/physiology to say whether they would be fertile or not.

3. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

I hope so. I think I saw these really pretty goldish platies that looked nice at my LFS

4. DanniD

DanniD Valued Member Member

I think you should be fine with the platies or swordtails... They will probably breed, I don't think they're sterile. Should be able to do otocinclus as well but keep in mind they are schooling fish so be prepared for at least 3-4. I don't see any issues with ghost shrimp either if they have hiding places.

5. OP
    OP
    FriarThomasIII

Yeah the tank going to be heavily planted soon, and has some caves and stem plants with roots, as well as no real open area on the bottom.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice