Question Adding Plants While Fishless Cycling

BassKase

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My fishless cycling is progressing well. I'm currently processing between 2-2.5ppm Ammonia daily, and that has been increasing regularly during this week. I'm thinking about ordering some plants to add before the cycle finishes and I order fish. I currently don't have any plants as I bought and setup the tank prior to doing any kind of research. I've since been researching constantly and have an idea of what I want to add. My main concern is still finishing the fishless cycle to process 4ppm in 24hrs without stalling the cycle by adding anything. I've already had some bumps along the way, and I'd like to avoid any more.

Summary of questions:
Can I safely add plants to a currently fishless cycling tank?
Will I still be safe to dose Ammonium Chloride up to 4ppm?
Will any fertilizers likely hinder the cycling in any way?
Should I bring any of my levels down before adding the plants?
Any additional tips for doing this?

Thanks for any thoughts and help. Let me know if there is any additional information I should provide.

Fisch

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am an aquarium freshling and just finished cycling my tank. I also went with the 4ppm Ammonia method and cranked up the heat to 82°F. My first plants were a Java Fern, an Amazon Sword, Frogbit and Vallisneria. All grew like weeds during the cycling period without any detrimental effect to the cycle.
Just had to play around with the balance of enough light for the plant and try to keep algea growth at a minimum. For me it worked well and wish I would have put in more plants at that time.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can definitely add plants now. They will be beneficial in processing ammonia and nitrite. Some people even cycle aquariums with nothing but plants at all.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom