Adding Plants To Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Lisafishlover, Apr 19, 2017.

1. L

Lisafishlover New Member Member

Hello, is it okay to add live plants to an aquarium that has fish for a month but no plants? I have ordered a few that may arrive this week. I dont have soil substrate in it either.
    The plants i ordered include dwarf water lily, java moss, duck weed, hair grass and dwarf hair grass.
    I have 3 male guppies, 5 female guppies and 3 neon tetras in a 10 gallon tank.
    I would really appreciate any help on this.

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Adding plants should be fine, you don't necessarily need soil to grow them. You may want to look into some liquid fertilizers and root tabs however to ensure that the plants get the proper nutrients. The grasses and lily bulb will benefit from the root tabs, the rest obtain nutrients from the water column.

You've got some stocking issues though, if you'd like help with that.

3. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

Yeah you can add the plants but you may wanna rehome some of the fish.

4. UniqueShark

UniqueShark Well Known Member Member

The hair grass will have an issue depending on your substrate and light.

The only stock issue is the tetras.

5. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

IME, the hairgrass will survive, just not propogate...I have some in a low light setup and they're looking good other than not sending out runners. Should be okay if the OP isn't trying for a carpet.

I was trying not to derail the thread with stocking issues, but that many guppies won't do well in a 10g IMO. Especially once fry are in the picture. In a 10g, I would do a trio of males only.

6. OP
    OP
    L

I was planning on getting rid of the guppies(not culling them though) and keeping tetras. But I have to keep the guppies for a month for the time being until I can give it to a friend.
    I have ordered some sand along with the plants. But i think I will need some growth tabs for the plants still.

7. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

In case you are interested petco is having their dollar per gallon sale now, both the neons and the guppies would love a 20long, whichever you decide to keep :)
    Add the plants when you get them, make sure you have a good plant specific light, and ferts and maybe co2 for dwarf hair grass :)

8. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you. But i live in a place that do not have petco.

9. OP
    OP
    L

I found some Aquarium soil at the pet shop the other day. There was only a handful of soil left there, and hence I put it in a small plate and filled the rest of it with sand and planted the hair grass. Did the same with the dwarf lily as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice