Adding Plants, Properly This Time..

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Meeko2690, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Meeko2690

Meeko2690Valued MemberMember

So I initally started my aquascape with live plants, however they all have died during the cycle. I have to be honest, I took bad advice at the store.

The plants I was sold were Echinodorus harbii Rosa, Polygonum and Eleocharis acicularis. They have all died and also introduced a snail infestation into my aquarium. Now to be even more honest I just planted them and left the lights on for 8-10 hours a day. I didn't even know I had to fertilise. A newbie mistake. I added some API root tabs but that didn't help it seems. So now my tank is cycled and I have my first fish in there it is looking very bare and I feel bad. I went to a shop this morning and purchased a large fake plant in the meantime, to give them somewhere to hide if required.

My substrate is JBL AquaBasis Plus soil (link below*) and sand. I have a layer of the soil then a layer of sand sloped back to front. My tank is a 200L (52g) and I have 2 30w either T5 or T8 I am not quite sure which. If I had to guess I'd say T8. I have a longer term plan to replace these lights with a LED light, however funds don't allow for this at the moment. Sometimes one of the bulbs fails to light, I don't believe it is a problem with the bulb itself more the connection which I am going to look into asap.

I went online and ordered a plant collection from an reputable site that is suitable for beginners the other day and they are being shipped next week so I would like to be prepared and do it properly this time. This is what I am going to receive;
    2 x Saggitaria Potted, 2 x Vallisnerias Spiralis Bunches, 2 x Vallisneria specie, 1 pots of Java Fern,
    2 x Cryptocoryne (sellers choice), 1 x Stem Plant (sellers choice), 1 x Echinodorus (sellers choice)

I am led to believe these are low-light low maintenence plants.

I have a another pack of API Root Tabs and a bottle of Seachem Flourish. Do I need anything else?
    When I purchased the tank second hand I got a JBL ProFlora u201 Co2 system with it (just without the cannister of Co2), I am not sure if I trust it as there will be days I will be out of the house for 12+ hours and the thought of it running out or something going wrong when I am not here gives me anxiety and the running costs of replacing the bottle every other week seem a bit too much. I have an airstone in the tank at the minute but it honestly seems pretty crap and I am going to buy a corner sponge filter to use as a backup filter and for the bubbles.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

*JBL AquaBasis Plus soil:  

2. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

i use excel, flourish and iron in my planted tanks. What kind of stem plants are you getting? Some require medium or high light so I'd check up on it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice