Adding Otos To My Pea Puffer Tank? Question

1. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

Should I do it? I have a 10 gallon tank housing 1 male and 2 female pea puffers. There isn't any noticeable aggression between the puffers, and there are no other tank mates. I have read mixed information on keeping otos with pea puffers, but it seems like a lot of people say pea puffers in general just ignore otos, but will bully pretty much any other fish.

The reason I want to add otos is because I am getting some algae buildup on the hard surfaces. Yes, I know, the best algae cleaner is me, not a fish. And I do clean it, but would like a fish to eat algae in between cleanings.

If I do add otos, how many should I get? I've never kept otos before so I don't really know much about them.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I've read that otos aren't necessarily schooling fish, but they are more comfortable with their species. Don't know how accurate this is, but I would get at least three. The more the merrier, but in a 1og you are kinda limited.

3. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

Yeah I’ve seen people on this website say they are a shoaling fish like corys are, but I also see people all the time keep just 1 or 2 of them and nobody bat an eye at it.

4. penguin02

Yeah, I've heard stories of massive, 100+ schools of them.

5. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

i wouldnt...

6. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

Noted, but why?

7. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

you already have 3 pea puffer in the tank.

8. OP
    OP
    IHaveADogToo

Okay? And?

Clearly I’m not understanding why adding ottos to this tank would be a bad idea. If I did I wouldn’t have made this this thread. It can’t be a bio load issue, because I know I’m not overstocked in that department. And they’re only like an inch long, maybe smaller. So that’s 3 inches of fish in this 10 gallon tank. And I hear pea puffers mostly ignore otos. So what gives?

9. penguin02

As long as it's planted and you are prepared to separate if there are any issues, everything should be fine. Lots of people have done it successfully.