Adding new Kuhlis

1. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I'm getting 8 Kuhli loaches soon and I was concerned about puting them all in my 29g at the same time. Should I just add them all at the same time? I only have two other tanks, a 5g and a 1g. I have to get them all in one day, what should I do?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd add them all one time and watch the water parameters closely and do water changes as needed to keep parameters down. Do you have Stability you can dose when you add them?

3. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Congrats on the new fish . I just got 6 three weeks ago. Are the 5 gallon and the 29 gal fully cycled? Is either one cycled. What other fish are in the tanks? Or are there other fish in the tanks. Do you plan to QT them or just put them in the 29 gal? Sorry for all the questions but I am trying to get an idea of what you want. Alison:;hi1

4. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I would add them all in at the same time as Kuhli's really aren't that high in bioload - just monitor the parameters. :)

Good luck - they are really fun especially when they all follow each other and chase each other!

Also I forgot to add - if you have another tank ( like the 5 gallon ) I would use that for a QT tank ( unless you have a QT tank already )
    You should always quarantine ALL incoming fish before you put them in your main tank - just in case they come down with a parasite, etc you don't want to expose all the rest of your fish.
    I used my 5 gallon tank as a QT tank and they will be fine for a few weeks to a month. Just make sure the water level is only half way or just a bit higher but not all the way - Kuhli's are jumpers and they can jump pretty high. Make sure your tank is securely covered. Turning on lights can startle them so make sure you also have a log or something where they can hide in.

5. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

All tanks are cycled.
    In the 29g (right now) there's 1 DG, 1 Amano shrimp, 2 Ghost shrimp.
    In the 5g there's 1 male Betta (Docile), 4 ADF.
    I know I should have a QT tank, but I don't have any more room (I can only have them in my room and mom said "no more tanks!")

6. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

In that case If it were me I would just add them all to the 29. The 5 gal is quite full. The only risk in the 29 would be to the DG as the shrimp don't get fish diseases as far as I am aware. I also would not chance putting the Betta in with the DG. I think that would be more of a risk. I also did not QT mine but put them right into my 30. they looked healthy and it is a chance I took. Alison:;hi1

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd add straight to the 29 gal.

8. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

(If I decided to get 10 instead) could I add all 10?

9. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Yes you could and they would be even happier. and you could still put them all in at once. Alison:;hi1

10. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ok thank you

11. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I forgot to ask, what is the best way to acclimate them into my tank?
    I usually just let them float for 20-25 mins. But I was told that was wrong..

12. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Mine came in a plastic bag like you would get in the fish store. I cut the elastic off and opened the top of the bag. Put the bag in the water, and held it up by using the top lid on the tank. I set the timer for 30 min just to even temps, then I added 1/2 cup of tank water to the bag every 15 minutes times 5. I used the stove timer. After I added the last 1/2 cup I again set the timer for 15 minutes and then let them all swim out into the tank. Alison:;hi1

13. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

Ok, thank you, again

14. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

After everything is settled (after the Kuhlis) How many neon tetras can I add at a time? I plan one getting 10. Same for Harlequin rasbora (getting 8).

15. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

After the Kuhli loaches are in I would use the QT tank for the next to batches and just do one group at a time . In the five gallon, then after they go in the main tank then do the next group. Acclimate the same way when going into the 5 gallon. Alison

16. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

How long can I keep 10 neon tetras in a 5g?
    Would I move the betta that's in the 5g to my 1g while the neons are in there?
    (My betta has never attacked anything, he only flared at my DG once when I had to move him for 10 mins to fix his tank)

17. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I forgot you had a betta in there. You could put the betta for a week in the one gal or Just acclimate the fish to the big tank. and really keep a close eye on them , and don't buy fish if they don't look healthy or have dead or dying fish in the tank. You would probably stress the betta more than is good for him by moving him back and forth. It is a tough call. TexasDomer what do you think? Alison

18. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have been doing some thinking and have another suggestion . Since the kuhli loaches are the lore expensive of the fish. Mine were 3.59 each plus shipping. I would hold of and do those last. I would do the neons first then wait two weeks, then add the harlequins and again wait two weeks, then get your loaches and add them last . The neons you can get on sale for 1.00 each and the rasboras 1.99 or less on sale. And just leave the betta in his home. You would be risking less of an investment doing it that way if somebody did become ill. At that point your tank would be stocked. :;hi2Alison

19. FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I'm not ordering the kuhlis online, I asked my LFS to order some and when they get them in they will be holding them for me (for $2.50). I know your suggestion is better, but its not an option unfortunately.

So just put my betta in the 1g for about 4 weeks while the neons, then the harlequins are being quarantined?

Also, I forgot to add (I probably shouldn't) but I also have 4 ADFs in my 5g with my betta. Should I move them to my 29g while the neons and (then) harlequins are in the 5g or is it ok to leave them?

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't move the betta and ADFs out to use their tank as a QT - if something happens in that tank, the betta is stuck in the 1 gal and the ADFs are in the 29 gal (not ideal for either of them).

I'd get a separate tank specifically for QTing if you're going to do that.