Adding new fish - what to get

Spudsssy

I'd stick with rainbow fish and tetra's for schooling fish.... you could increase the number to 12 each.

Group of 12+ cories and 2 bristlenose pleco's in perfect.

Rainbow fish, tetras and angel fish are suitable together. If I do multiple cichlids I tend to try to get female only. Or specifically buy a pair.... Iv had bad experiences getting groups of cichlids... i dont like aggression or stress in tanks. A Single cichlid is perfectly fine too.

A 75gal is a good size for a single Severum for example.

Upvote 0

barbiespoodle

For sure cory's, Can't beat those peaceful, bottom cleaning, charmers. I can't think of a single bad thing to say about them other than they are happier in larger numbers, but no problem in a 75 gallon. The only other problem is deciding on which cory to get, there are so many different kinds of the cuties out there.

Angelfish can be problematic. It's hard to get more than one of them without territory issues, especially if you get 2 that pair up. I'm only saying this because I have one rescue angelfish that was low man on the totem pole and was pretty beat up when I took him. I didn't think he would make it, but he pulled through and is now the brat of my 55 gallon community. I'm sure more than one angelfish person is going to pipe in and disagree with me, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents and it might not even be worth that. Also don't get me wrong, I love angelfish, I think they are beautiful.

A lot of Barbs are notorious fin nippers so you have to research which Barbs you are considering before you invest in them.

I have no personal experience with brislenoses but have heard nothing but good about them.

I'm also going to suggest you research some of the danio's. They are beautiful schooling fish and a large group of them adds a fast moving accent to a tank, especially one as big as yours. In my 55 gallon community, I have a remaining pair of giant danio's that are about 15 years old. They are a bigger danio, but so beautiful to watch as they zoom around the tank. Of course there are many more smaller danio's to make a school out of.

And I might get some disagreements on this one, but in your tank you might also want to consider a trio of silver dollars. They will be a larger fish schooling fish to add a different accent to the smaller fish and other than being notorious plant nippers, very peaceful to smaller fish.

Upvote 0

MacZ

If you get bristlenose plecos, DON'T get a pair. Either one male or two females. Otherwise you sit on dozens and dozens of fry that basically overrun the tank. Even if you have someone who takes them off your hands regularly the chance that this is enough is slim.

And I might get some disagreements on this one, but in your tank you might also want to consider a trio of silver dollars. They will be a larger fish schooling fish to add a different accent to the smaller fish and other than being notorious plant nippers, very peaceful to smaller fish.

Yeah, disagreement here. Besides the tank being too short (the volume may be fine, but I would recommend a longer tank), that "plant nippers" should be changed to "plant rippers". With most of the other fish needing a well planted tank this is a conflict of interest imo.

Upvote 0

11fishvibe

I only have fake plants.
will fishstill destroy?
Are bristlenose east to sex? I don’t want any risk having fry

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I only have fake plants.
will fishstill destroy?
Are bristlenose east to sex? I don’t want any risk having fry
Depends on what fish you get. They could rip them up. And bn are easy to sex males have the bristles females dont
Just make sure you don’t get two males

Upvote 0

jake37

fishes won't destroy fake plants but you should have real plants. to answer your question - angels will eat small tetra but not larger ones - small ones are things like neons and ember - larger ones are things like serpae and rosy tetra.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

Just get a single bristlenose pleco. None of those fish will destroy plants... Anubias, java fern, vallisneria, crypts.... floating plants like water lettuce/ frogbit or red floaters are very easy to keep.

Upvote 0

MacZ

None of those fish will destroy plants...

I was just referring to the silver dollars that were mentioned.

Upvote 0

Josie12012

I have 6 Rosy Barbs with my rainbows and it’s a nice contrast. Rosy barbs are also very active and provide a beautiful shimmer. Fun to sit and watch them for sure, I’d really recommend them. Best of luck adding new fish!

Upvote 0

GlennO

The Boesemani will eventually reach about 4 inches I’d focus on bottom dwellers such as cories or loaches and a BN. There are some cichlid options too but an angelfish is probably not the best choice amongst an active school of rainbowfish.

Upvote 0

11fishvibe

Okay. Will look into adding some real plants.
where do I even start? Fertilizer? Will they grow in sand? What is the easiest?

Probably will add more boemsani and glo fish tetras to have 12 each in total
1 bristlenose pleco
10 panda Cories
1 severum

Danios I thought needed water that was colder.
I’ve considered them as well and gold barbs

Upvote 0

jake37

If you add a bristlenose - not suggesting you do - pick one that is interesting like lemon blue eye, starlight or super-red.... there is also a green dragon among other colours/patterns.

Upvote 0

11fishvibe

If you add a bristlenose - not suggesting you do - pick one that is interesting like lemon blue eye, starlight or super-red.... there is also a green dragon among other colours/patterns.

I had no idea those were an option.
will have to look around for them.
Any particular reason you wouldn’t suggest a pleco?

Upvote 0

jake37

Kind of boring. Most people buy them as algae eaters but I think there are more interesting fishes (and pleco). If i were to buy a pleco i'd consider gold nugget, L204, blue phantom, ... but if I just wanted a fish - i'd consider 6 or 8 zebra loach or maybe 12 dwarf loach. The dwarf loaches can be a bit hyper but they are small - sadly kind of expensive. The zebra loaches are extremely docile - bit larger than the dwarf - nice fish but others might disagree. Of course there are also many different types of cory - I'm particularly fond of pygmy cory you could easily get 20 of these - they are a bit different than panda in that they like to school and move as a group. Also they are not pinned to the bottom of the tank like most cory as they like swimming mid-level and resting on plant leaves.
-
However at the end of the day the fish you buy comes down to either functional or personal opinion. One person 'interesting' fish is anothers 'boring'. There is no right or wrong (as long as they are compatible).

I had no idea those were an option.
will have to look around for them.
Any particular reason you wouldn’t suggest a pleco?

Upvote 0

11fishvibe

I'd stick with rainbow fish and tetra's for schooling fish.... you could increase the number to 12 each.

Group of 12+ cories and 2 bristlenose pleco's in perfect.

Rainbow fish, tetras and angel fish are suitable together. If I do multiple cichlids I tend to try to get female only. Or specifically buy a pair.... Iv had bad experiences getting groups of cichlids... i dont like aggression or stress in tanks. A Single cichlid is perfectly fine too.

A 75gal is a good size for a single Severum for example.
I like the idea of cichlids specifically the Severum didn't think it would be compatible with the fish I already have, I'm not a fan of aggression either.

will most likely take your advice and get more boesmani tetras along with cories, a pleco and the severum.

I was also looking at danios as I have kids and they're drawn to the glo fish.

so many options.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
2fishinabowl
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views