Adding New Fish To An Established Community Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by pgw2000, Apr 15, 2017.

1. pgw2000New MemberMember

I have had my 40 gallon tank for a year now and have not had a fish die for about 6 months, so my environment is pretty stable. I have 12 community fish in my tank right now, and I want to add new fish, but I don't know if this would be stressful for them since they have been used to this environment for a while. Also, if I do add new fish, would it help to clean and rearrange the decor before adding the new fish or would that make the transition even more stressful?

2. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Hi! First of all, any fish you add would need to be quarantined first before adding to your established tank- so that you don't introduce parasites or pathogens into your tank. Visually fish at shops may appear fine, but once you get them home can then show systems- such as Ich. Do you have a quarantine tank? What fish do you have currently in your tank? What fish are you thinking of purchasing?

3. OP
    OP
    p

pgw2000New MemberMember

Yes, I have a quarantine tank. I currently have 5 tetras, 4 platys, a golden severum, a rainbowfish, and a gourami. I wanted to add a larger batch of fish, probably 10 or so, of small-medium size, but I dont know what kinds.

4. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Great! If these fish all seem to be compatible, why not get more tetras, as they are a schooling fish. I really like rummy-nose tetras as they are a very hardy species.. Here is a bit about them: Rummy Nose Tetra

5. OP
    OP
    p

pgw2000New MemberMember

Awesome! Thanks! Would it be a good idea for me to do a "deep" cleaning as I haven't actually cleaned my substrate for a while or should I just leave it be?

6. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

You should routinely clean your substrate with a python siphon hose, definitely.

7. MattS99

MattS99Well Known MemberMember

If you want some kind of schooling fish, I'd go with a tetra for sure, as Discusluv said. If you can find them, I'd also suggest Lemon Tetras and maybe even Colombian tetras. The Colombians may get a little too big for what you're looking for, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice