Adding new fish (I know this has been discussed before)

Jenn023

Hello I know this has been discussed before but I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 mollies and 3 platties (added the 2 mollies and platties about 2 weeks ago) now my 10 gallons water parameters are a mess… I used seachem prime the first day of my 75 gallon tank setup then stability for 7 days after that. Then I waited a week and bough 2 “tester” fish, and it has been a total of 3 weeks since I started the tank. I want to move my fish in the 10 gallon to the 75 gallon tank. I bought 2 mollies for the new tank to see how they would do and they are doing amazing so I think my water is fine (testing perfect see below)..will it hurt my numbers in a 75 gallon tank if I put my 3 platties and 2 mollies (from my 10 gallon) in with the 2 mollies that are in there already (so I will have 7 fish in 75 gallons in a week)… The new mollies have been there since Saturday… Just not sure how to do this. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Attachments

• A65AFDB2-6870-41E8-A820-27D99DBD7681.jpeg
    A65AFDB2-6870-41E8-A820-27D99DBD7681.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 23

BigManAquatics

Sounds like a fish-in cycle at that point more or less, so keep testing everyday and do water changes when you show ammonia/nitrites.

Upvote 0

Jenn023

My old 10 gallon tank water nitrites and nitrates are bad… so if I added 2 fish to my new tank last Saturday is it too much to add 2 more mollies and 3 platys to the new 75 gallon tank?

Upvote 0

wateriswet

I'd personally move all the fish out of the 10 and into the 75 all at once and put the filter media from the 10 into the new bigger filter to seed the bacteria

Upvote 0

Jenn023

I'd personally move all the fish out of the 10 and into the 75 all at once and put the filter media from the 10 into the new bigger filter to seed the bacteria
The only problem is the 10 is a hang on the back and the 75 is a canister filter so not sure how I would do that :-/… this fish hubby starting it out has been a lot of stress lol

Upvote 0

wateriswet

Doesn't the canister have trays for you to add media? If so, put the hob pad in there. If not, consider running the hob on the 75 in addition to the canister for at least a month.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

Even if you don't move the filter from the 10 gallon, the waste from the fish will be more diluted in the larger tank, so changes in water parameters should be much less abrupt.

Upvote 0

Jenn023

Even if you don't move the filter from the 10 gallon, the waste from the fish will be more diluted in the larger tank, so changes in water parameters should be much less abrupt.
Thank you! My little tank has been such a nightmare I’m hoping I have better luck with the big one.

Upvote 0

Nate32

Thank you! My little tank has been such a nightmare I’m hoping I have better luck with the big one.

In my experience the bigger the tank the more stable the parameters. Small setups are fun but things can go south quick if not monitored. I used to see a nitrite spike in all my smaller tanks when adding new fish, my 75 hasn't had a spike yet after any new fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gagep
Replies
Views
mackZ
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
Replies