Adding New Fish Advice.

1. Richie99

Richie99 New Member Member

Hi folks,

I'd like to add one more fish to my tank. I have a 40 breeder with an Aquaclear 110 HOB. I have one common goldfish. I'd really like to get one more fish to keep this guy company and was wondering if I could get a fantail or if I should just stay with another common. I've heard that goldfish are social and would really like to add one more soon. Here is a photo of Frans and the tank setup. Thanks !

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Common goldfish get huge... And their bioload is very large too!!! So I would definitely not add another fish.. your fish is very pretty and you have a very nice looking tank but the painful truth about common goldfish is they are suited for a pond... If you would consider rehoming your fish to a pond you could put probably 2to 4 fancy goldfish in their!!!!

3. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Hi there, I'm in a similar situation to you. I too have a common, in a 60, but mine is severely stunted. I wouldn't recommend another common, or another fancy. Yours would easily eat much more food than the fancy and compete with it. Yours will be just fine alone, and just fine without a friend. Don't worry too much about it. Yours is gorgeous by the way. How old is yours?