Adding My Fish

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I plan on getting a German Blue Ram, X-Ray Tetra, Emerald Cory Cats, and Amano Shrimp. I was wondering which fish to add to my aquarium first? I have 2 fish (Silver Dollar, Rainbow Shark) holding the cycle. Additionally, I understand these fish are in the wrong tank I plan to give them to my lfs after I get my new fish. I believe the best option would be adding the tetra first and maybe some shrimp with them.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would add the tetras first, cories second, and the GBR last. The GBR might munch on the amanos, so make sure you provide some hiding spots like java moss for the shrimp. What size tank is this?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Id personally add the tetras or cories first (and with the amanos) then the cories or tetras next.... and rams last.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a 29 gallon and planned on having some hiding places like plants and decorations for the shrimp for when they feel in danger. Thanks for the help, I guessed on the GBR being last but didn't know if there was any benefits or negatives to adding the Tetra or Cory's first.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If it's cycled, your nitrates aren't too high, and your PH is stable, it doesn't really matter what you add first. Just make sure not to add them all at once.

aquatickeeper

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
spike98 said:
It's a 29 gallon and planned on having some hiding places like plants and decorations for the shrimp for when they feel in danger. Thanks for the help, I guessed on the GBR being last but didn't know if there was any benefits or negatives to adding the Tetra or Cory's first.
Since that it's a 29 gallon, I would personally skip on the emerald cories. Emerald cories can get up to 4 inches long and need to be in schools of at least 6.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any cories you think would be a suited for a replacement for the emeralds?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
spike98 said:
Any cories you think would be a suited for a replacement for the emeralds?
Bronze, julies(?), sterbai, lazers... theres a lot out there!

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would albino Cory cats be a better fit? Planetcatfish had their temp from 69-80 and their adult size being 3 inches.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
spike98 said:
Would albino Cory cats be a better fit? Planetcatfish had their temp from 69-80 and their adult size being 3 inches.
Yep. They fine, they actually a colour morph of the bronze- most if the time...

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I thought I read that when doing some research on them. Thanks for the help and confirmation.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom