Adding more substrate?

willjames37

I want to add plants to my freshwater community tank that is currently fish only. I've been told that I can grow plants in the play sand substrate that I currently have as long as I am using root tabs. However, I need to add another inch or two of sand to support plants and I wasn't sure if I can just add it right on top of the sand that's already in there without doing anything special. Also, is adding a layer of gravel on top of all the sand a good idea as well? Or is it not necessary?

Chanyi

Just add the sand, no issue. You also don't need root tabs if the water column is sufficiently fertilized.

Gravel on top of sand is not needed

Upvote 0

FishGirl38

I would think this would be okay - I'd think the worse thing that could happen is the nitrifying gas that may build up under the sand bed later on. If you add 'newer' sand above the 'established' sand - if there is any food or debri that was trapped and left to decay, it could release toxic gases - this is more common in saltwater - and if you're hydrovacing the tank after the fact, I don't think I would matter much.

I don't think that's something to worry about - but you could add assassin snails, or chopstick snails - a snail type that will burrow. Asian freshwater clams potentially - something that will stir up the sand bed deep enough to clear out any old food or anything that's gotten trapped in the sand. (note - not sure if these guys will eat plants or disturb root structures though)

I have a mixed gravel/sand cichlid tank - planted (for now....hah). I tried to keep my sand separate from my (flourite) gravel - it all get's mixed together eventually. I use a reptile scoop (like a kitty scooper but mesh) to fix it occasionally but my fish like to put it how they want anyway.

I'd say - if you're not using an aqua-soil - and you can hydrovac it - than you should, and I wouldn't add the gravel. It's a neat look imo, but after awhile, it does sort of just look like a mess. You don't have to 'cap' it if it's not aquasoil. My sand isn't play sand, but it is the finest grain I could get, I only lose a little bit when I hydrovac (I use a python - its 130G).

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

. . . I don't think that's something to worry about - but you could add assassin snails, or chopstick snails - a snail type that will burrow. Asian freshwater clams potentially - something that will stir up the sand bed deep enough to clear out any old food or anything that's gotten trapped in the sand. (note - not sure if these guys will eat plants or disturb root structures though) . .

Malaysian trumpet snails would also be a good choice.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
90 Gallon Tank New to Substrate Layering
Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views
MossMark
Replies
Views