Adding more sand to established planted tank

Zonotrichia

We currently have a very fine Carib Sea Super Naturals sand (I'm guessing the basic aquarium sand—whatever we found at Petco when we started out) in our established planted 29 gallon tank, and I've found that we've lost a lot of it while vacuuming. I would like to add more sand to the tank, as it's gotten quite thin in spots and roots are getting exposed. Is there a recommended way to do this without harming the bacteria that live in the existing sand? We wouldn't be replacing the substrate wholesale, just adding bits here and there.

Picture of tank for reference. It is not heavily planted and frankly is in a pretty sorry state right now...trying to give it some TLC!

Marlene327

I once added a small bag to my 40 gallon, the bag was only 4 pounds. The side of the tank with my HOB always goes low as sand is gradually washed to the other side in the current. I rinsed it many times as always, kept it in a cup til I got it to the bottom, and let it out slowly, cup by cup. That way it stayed in place and didn't dirty up the tank. Unless you're adding a LOT more, I don't think you'll mess up the bacteria much. It will be in your filter and on everything else in there too.

You could scratch the sand around lightly to bring some of the old to the top, also.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
schmartiepantz
Replies
Views
Mrfister1116
Replies
Views
qquake2k
Replies
Views