Adding More Fish 10 Gallon Tank

1. leroyatethestars

leroyatethestars New Member Member

Hello,
    I currently have 3 zebra danios in my 10 gallon tank with a few plants. They seem to enjoy zooming around the tank and don't seem to be aggressive. I was just wondering about people's opinions on what other fish I could get? I think I want a mystery snail eventually.
    Thanks.

2. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Valued Member Member

Hi I would recommend you to maybe increase to a 15-20 gallon cus danios are schooling fish of a at least 5 and they may start acting out due to the fact that they are little in number

They could start to become aggressive
    I guess you could manage them in the 10g but you can't add another fish

3. OP
    OP
    leroyatethestars

I'd love to upgrade the tank but the tank is in my bedroom so I'm not sure I'd have space. When I got them at the store the lady said they'd be fine so I didn't realize they would need more room until a bit later. I've have them about a week and all fins are intact and such. Really, they all seem to do their own thing.

If it's not a good idea for me to add more fish then I'll let Leroy I, II, and III just hang out together for the time being and upgrade as soon as I can.

Would the snail maybe be okay? Or is that a bad idea.

4. OP
    OP
    leroyatethestars

Also, I would wait a while before anything else to the tank. I was just looking for ideas.

5. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

Hi there! :)

A 10 gallon is too small for zebra danios unfortunately. They are extremely active fish and need a larger footprint. They require a minimum of 20 gallons.

If possible you can either A) rehome them or B) get a larger tank that is 20 gallons or more.

A 20 gallon tank takes up about the same kind of space as a 10 gallon so it won't take up too much room in your room.

For a 10 gallon, You can do a Betta with some snails/shrimp (dependant upon temperament). Chili Rasboras are small and cute and they do good in a 10 gallon as well. There are lots of other options for a 10 gallon but for now, focus on either rehoming or getting a bigger tank!

6. OP
    OP
    leroyatethestars

Okay, thank you.
    Most of my stuff can transfer to a 20g, so I'll upgrade as soon as I can. I've become rather fond of the little guys, and I realized pretty quick after getting a 10g that I'd want a bigger tank so I could have more fish than a 10g can hold anyway.

Thanks for the help.

7. KaitlynR

Absolutely, anytime! Did you want help with stocking your 10 gallon, or wait until you get the 20g?

8. OP
    OP
    leroyatethestars

I think I'll wait until I get the 20g, but if you have any recommendations for when I get the larger tank I'd love to hear them.

9. KaitlynR

Sure thing! I think you're asking for ideas on the 20 gallon, let me know if I'm wrong! Here's some ideas for it:

x6 Zebra Danios
    x2 Licorice Gouramis OR x1 Apistogramma OR x2 German Blue Rams
    x6 Panda Cories OR x6 Julii Cories OR x6 Peppered Cories OR x6 Emerald Cories

Also, make sure to check temperature and pH compatibility between the species I listed above. Sorry, I didn't go full out on this quick look up!

Essentially, you'll want to stick to that format though, if you want to do a community tank. You could also do an all zebra danio tank too. You can fit about 12-15 zebra danios with a filter meant for a 20 gallon, and up to 20 if you overfilter your tank.

Or you could forgo the danios all together and do something totally different :p

10. OP
    OP
    leroyatethestars

You got it right, sorry I wasn't clear.
    Thank you for the recommendations, I'll definitely check those guys out!