Adding More Fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fish Newbie, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Fish NewbieNew MemberMember

Hello, new to the forums, (long time stalker) I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add more fish to my 20L tank. Currently I have 5 neon tetras, who do not school, 7 glofish Danios, also do not school, 2 mystery snails, 2 tiger nerite, 1 zebra nerite, and one razerback snail. I worry about the tetras since my glofish are so playful, but no fin nipping so far. Water is 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates. No live plants, temp kept between 76 and 78. Would more make it a better balance, or am I pushing it?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

If the tetras aren't in any real danger now I'd say you probably shouldn't add more because you wouldn't know the temperament of the next two tetras especially with all of them in a 20L
    If there is danger in the future maybe try rehoming some of them instead of adding more

3. Rivermonster

RivermonsterValued MemberMember

Probs pushing it, whats the water flow like? and filter size?
    If your filter is too small you wont have enough bacteria to support your fish waste, and also its going to get clogged faster

4. OP
    OP
    F

Fish NewbieNew MemberMember

They like to play that is for sure, I thought they would make a good pair with the Danios, and the Danios seem to like the fish mates, have tons of hiding spaces for them all, I just worry that my tetra "school" is too small. Or vise versa.

5. FishL:))

FishL:))Well Known MemberMember

Hello!
    Welcome to FishLore!! :) @BeanFish Could really help you out.

6. OP
    OP
    F

I am doing an underwater filter, so no mechanical yet.

Oh but during the day I have a bubbler going and at night, just the heads running, which creates a calming motion for them to rest. I will be asking about snail growth soon....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  7. Rivermonster

When you clean the substrate every so often id suggest using some ammo lock or prime as ammonia/debris may leak into the main water colum from the substrate. Espec that many fish in 20litres could easily spike

8. OP
    OP
    F

I do have prime, I wanted to do my babies right! The calculator does say I am at 40 percent, which seemed low, that is why I ask the group I have come to rely on!

9. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

20L usually means 20 long, not 20 litres... OP can you confirm? If it's a 20 long, you should be able to add a few more neon tetras.

10. OP
    OP
    F

It is a 20 long, so 20 gallon tank.

11. Rivermonster

Yh you'd defo get some more in there. I think tetras prefer slightly more current than what most airpumps and undergravel systems provide. You may find more current helps to get them to shoal

12. OP
    OP
    F

They really like to play in the bubbles! I see them going in and out of it all the time and dart around with my biggest red glofish, she is a beast!

I was thinking of adding a mechanical filter as well for a stronger current, but afraid it would be too much going on in the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice