Adding More Fish To 20 Gallon

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Adding a female could go bad, DG's can be very aggressive. I think just adding Harlequins would be a good Idea.
If you where to add the other DG you'll need visual breakes in the scape and a backup plan incase it goes wrong.

GabrielParker

Reaction score
More harlequins are a good idea. I have 8 and with as many as that they are beautiful to see.

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Adding a female could go bad, DG's can be very aggressive. I think just adding Harlequins would be a good Idea.
If you where to add the other DG you'll need visual breakes in the scape and a backup plan incase it goes wrong.
I know. But I've heard that if I put them in together then they won't hurt each other. I do have an extra tank though.

GabrielParker said:
More harlequins are a good idea. I have 8 and with as many as that they are beautiful to see.
I might get a few more because it looks Boring with just 4 fish on top and I rarely see twisty my clown pleco. When he is out I will go to look at him and runs and goes in his cave. And then I lost 2 snails so I only have 2 now. And more plants.

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
I have a mixture of different Tetras & Minnows in my 20 gallon keeping my forever expanding family of Cories company.....the aquarium is a 24/7 hive of activity at all levels of the water.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had Percy the pesky Common Pleco in there and there was very little activity from the Tetras and Minnows but oddly since he passed away they have been bouncing all over the aquarium like crazy kids.......they have a whale of a time with the Cories :)

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
pagoda said:
I have a mixture of different Tetras & Minnows in my 20 gallon keeping my forever expanding family of Cories company.....the aquarium is a 24/7 hive of activity at all levels of the water.

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had Percy the pesky Common Pleco in there and there was very little activity from the Tetras and Minnows but oddly since he passed away they have been bouncing all over the aquarium like crazy kids.......they have a whale of a time with the Cories :)
Aww poor pleco. I love anything that sits on the bottom I want to add Cory's in my 10 gallon with doom head my betta or African dwarf frogs.
So I can get a mixture of the tetras and rasboras? Like 5 each?

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
To make the Tetras and Rassies happy you really need to get at least 6 and ideally 8+ if you can. The larger the school the more activity & less stress to the fish....all of my different Tetras & Minnows school together which makes for some very pretty colour flashes together as they speed up and around the aquarium :)

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
pagoda said:
To make the Tetras and Rassies happy you really need to get at least 6 and ideally 8+ if you can. The larger the school the more activity & less stress to the fish....all of my different Tetras & Minnows school together which makes for some very pretty colour flashes together as they speed up and around the aquarium :)
Oh well I was hoping they the tetras and rasboras would school together. I really love the purple emperor tetras, they're purple! Like my poor tarantula so who died a few weeks ago.
How many of each of your fish do you have?

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
pagoda said:
One 20 gallon has Glowlight Tetras, Harlequin Rassies, Serpae Tetras and they school together...6 of each. My other 20 gallon has Pristella Tetras, Neon Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, White Cloud Minnows....6 of each and they school together and they share their home with several Bronze Cories who breed like rabbits
Oh so 6 of each would be ok? And then just the male dg no female and 2 more snails?
Don't bronze Cory's get big? I thought they were all tiny, smaller than my clown pleco but apparently some get big

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
My Bronze have maxed out at around 2 inches.....started with 4 of the little munchkins 5 months ago and now have 25 :eek: They are slowly being spread around the other two aquariums and they are an excellent excuse to buy another aquarium ;)

My aquarium with the Rassies has a matched pair of Kissing Gourami....they will move to a bigger aquarium in due course as they will outgrow the 20 gallon by the end of this year.

You should be fine with you chosen stocking...but bear in mind that you will need to be very regular with weekly water changes and good aeration and filtration....both of my 20 gallon have large airstones and over powered internal filters and so far...touch wood...no issues anywhere :)

My third aquarium is a 15 gallon hexagonal with Murf the Betta, Bouncer the female Bronze Cory and Squeak the undersized White Cloud Minnow

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
pagoda said:
My Bronze have maxed out at around 2 inches.....started with 4 of the little munchkins 5 months ago and now have 25 :eek: They are slowly being spread around the other two aquariums and they are an excellent excuse to buy another aquarium ;)

My aquarium with the Rassies has a matched pair of Kissing Gourami....they will move to a bigger aquarium in due course as they will outgrow the 20 gallon by the end of this year.

You should be fine with you chosen stocking...but bear in mind that you will need to be very regular with weekly water changes and good aeration and filtration....both of my 20 gallon have large airstones and over powered internal filters and so far...touch wood...no issues anywhere :)

My third aquarium is a 15 gallon hexagonal with Murf the Betta, Bouncer the female Bronze Cory and Squeak the undersized White Cloud Minnow
Aww so many tanks! It's frustrating for me that I don't have the money or space to for more
I actually don't mind the cleaning. Also so many cute namesss!! :3
I've also decided that I won't add anything except a snail for Doom head, he deserves his own space since he did live in a bowl when I first bought him moved him to the 20 gallon but added a gold gouramI and KaI my DG, the gold and my betta began bullying kaI (DG) so I separated all 3. I feel like I owe him. He was an impulse buy. I fell in love with my cousins betta and I missed having one but I finally realized that he needs a tank so got the 20 gallon. But I also wanted Twisty

pagoda

Well Known
Reaction score
Betta's and GouramI are from the same family of fish and shouldn't be mixed......they can be quite vicious towards each other. So it was good that you realised before any real damage was done and split them up :)

My Kissers...Hamilton & Vettel...came together but after a few weeks nigh on killed each other one night, so I had to get the second aquarium for that reason. In the last 10 days I have put them back together after a couple months apart and they are seriously loved up now, they sleep tight together and have not fought once....but both will be going into a larger aquarium as soon as my back room is cleared and I have got another aquarium bought & cycled

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
pagoda said:
Betta's and GouramI are from the same family of fish and shouldn't be mixed......they can be quite vicious towards each other. So it was good that you realised before any real damage was done and split them up :)

My Kissers...Hamilton & Vettel...came together but after a few weeks nigh on killed each other one night, so I had to get the second aquarium for that reason. In the last 10 days I have put them back together after a couple months apart and they are seriously loved up now, they sleep tight together and have not fought once....but both will be going into a larger aquarium as soon as my back room is cleared and I have got another aquarium bought & cycled
Yea I was scared for Kai, he was so submissive and kinda dumb to be honest. He kept going near them.. Or he enjoyed it? Lol But I love him so much so they're all happy seperated. The gold one I gave to my mom's friend. She has balloon plattys and one big pleco all in a very large tank :3 KaI even takes food from my fingers!!!!
I'm happy that your pair gets along!! I was hoping that if I got a female they would get along but since I really want the colorful fish I should just not get a female.

New Threads