adding more cories?

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

So I have been looking for Emerald Cories ever since I found a picture of them online... I am wondering if I would be able to put a group of 6 in any of my tanks... tanks are as followed:

29g:
    1 Betta
    6 Black Neons
    6 Albino Cories

26g:
    1 Betta
    4 Black Skirt tetra (got from walmart and the emeralds will be coming from the same tank compartment)
    6 Otos
    4 Blue Mystery Snails
    tons of MTS and Ramshorns

10g:
    4 Ghost Shrimp
    5 Orange Punkin Shrimp
    2 Mystery Snails
    MTS and 1 Ramshorn

I am sure the 10g is to small but yeah lol... would the emeralds and albinos school? the ones I saw grouped together at walmart seemed to have schooled but I wasn't sure if it was because the small area or not? Thanks guys for the help! but if my tanks are over stocked just let me know I'll try and fix it!

2. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

you mean the green (bronze) cory not the emerald brochis (huge!) right? I just saw them today, wholy cow! anywho I'd say 26 so they've got that bottom space to themselves and you've got cories in both tanks :D but I dont think there's a problem with mixing schools. throw some pygmy cory in the 10 for good measure?

Oh and my Petsmart has them all the time :( happy hunting!

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

it is Green Corydoras
    I may just add them to the 26g...

oh and my petsmart and walmart near me sells them but my petsmart is ALWAYS out :( so I will be going to my walmart to get them... at walmart they are listed as Assort. Cory.

4. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

okay so I am thinking of getting them today... any thoughts?

5. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you have a large enough tank for them. Here's one that's the size of a regular cory, along side a full grown one. big and little.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

*_* wow... and that is why I asked before posting... actually tonight I will go to walmart and take a picture of one and post it here and see if you guys think it is or not... I would hate to get a group of cories that size and have a tank be to small... I just want to add some color to the bottom of my tanks :)

7. Jaysee

Yeah, they get pretty large. In addition to being twice the length, they are several times the size of a cory. I feel that they are better suited to a 4 foot tank.

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

four foot is a 40g right? I don't know to much about that sort of conversion yet... but if these guys do turn out to be the giant kind I won't buy them but I will keep looking for the smaller versions :)

9. Jaysee

40 gallon is 36 inches, I believe. 55 gallon, and I think 50 gallon too, are 48 inches long. There's no conversion, just memorization.

10. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

oh okay I will keep that in mind... I saw my walmart (I hate the place but the things I am starting to find beat out petsmarts prices :( ) had a 55g kit for $250 no stand though... mom said I can't bring anymore big tanks into the house until I move xD so I have to wait if I get a group of them :/ however I am getting a couple 2.5g xD

11. Jaysee

You're young - you've got many years of keeping fish ahead of you. And, once you get your own place, you can do what you want :)

12. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I will be getting my own place in the spring ;) and I am 19 not exactly old but not to young :) but far to old to still be under the parents thumbs xD

13. Jaysee

Hahaha, I suppose that's a matter of perspective. Do you pay rent? Cause then you might have a leg to stand on. But, if you are living at home and not paying rent.....

I don't know your situation at all, but, I wouldn't be in a huge rush to get out there on your own. At least not till you've got a bankroll. 19 is in no way, shape or form old. It's hard out there - the economy sucks and is getting worse. I think it would be wise to stay at home, putting away as much money as you can, for as long as you can.

14. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Yes I pay rent, but that doesn't matter because parents always see their kids as, well, kids... and I know its a hard cruel world which is why I am not moving until I know I can afford it on my own. I have been saving for some time now :) my parents already agreed to care for my dog if I end up getting a place that isn't 4 legged mammal friendly. anyways I think we have gotten bit by the LASS (aka off topic lol)

15. Ziggi

er ... now I'm confused... you want green cory or emerald Brochis? Green cory = color variety of the bronze cory ... brochis is that ginormous critter in the pic above. Petsmart has green cory more common than brochis, but the brochis are most likely already adult sized. If you want the cory then I think you're good with the 26, brochis (in your link and the monster in the tank pictured above) ... negative.

I'm not much older than you and I was looking for my own place before I graduated from college, but I agree with Jaysee. I'm dying right now because in a month I'm adding a new bill to my already tight budget, and thats the wonderful insurance bill! :( Something I hoped wouldn't be an issue since I hoped to have a full time job/benefits after graduating. I digress, dont be in a rush cause you dont want to move out, spend on rent/furniture/bills/etc (cost of living)... get stressed should a problem arise, go broke and potentially move back home... UNLESS you've got a full time job already. Cost of Living here is DISGUSTING! :(

16. Jaysee

It's very easy to tell the difference. The brochiis have many more dorsal rays than the corys. The dorsal fin extends almost all the way to the adipose fin, where as the corys have a large gap between the fins.

17. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

IMG_20121125_213428.jpg
    IMG_20121125_213432.jpg
    IMG_20121125_213436.jpg

Okay so I stopped by Walmart and took a few pictures of the cories in question :)

18. Jaysee

Bronze corys, they are

19. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Awesome :) I will probably get a group tomorrow then!!!

20. Ziggi

I've got them :) just posted a video of mine too! I still say option b: 26 gal