adding more Angels

1. luna 13 Member Member

Hi people,
    I upgraded to a 55 gallon tank last week. Right now it is housing 2 Angels about 3 inches in size. Also 2 pristellas 3 Blackskirt tetras 4 Corys 8 Neons and one guppy. My question is would it be possible to add two more Angels.I saw some nice ones yesterday. They are still very small about one and a half inch. Would it be a gamble?
    Thank you for responding, Nora.

2. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

If you have alot of hiding places you should be ok, but i would say your about out of room and you'll need to stay on top of your water changes...JMHO

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Do you know what sex your angels are? I'm not very familiar with them, but I've read that as they pair up, they can become very aggressive. Not sure at all if that is an issue for a 55g.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I think adding two more would be fine :)

5. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with Shawnie. I have four angels in my 55g along with a similar stocking list and they do fine. If they pair off later, just keep an eye out for aggression, but otherwise you should be fine.

6. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

you could add two more angels if you wanted to. You will just have to stay on top of your water changes and keep checking your water.

7. Neji Member Member

I'm pretty sure adding 2 more angelfishes would be fine :) I recommend that you add in live aquarium plants to the tank and drift wood too :) Especially Amazon Swords are really good to simulate the natural environmental habitat in the wild. I know from seeing all of these natural plants in the Amazon River :)

Also, angels usually grow very big. At least 5" I suppose but out in the wild they grow a lot bigger. I've seen some that are 12" in the wild and the Altums get a little bigger! Anyways, as long as you perform lots of water changes and give a good amount of food then you will have healthy fishes in your tank! I do water changes + siphoning the gravel once a week. Right now I do the water changes every 2 days since I have young angels in the tank right now. I also have a whole bunch of live plants in my tank and they are really good for the water too :)