Adding Minnows

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Alee C., Apr 5, 2010.

1. Alee C.

Alee C. Valued Member Member

Hey I have 4 minnows(from a river by my house) and I'm wanting to add them to my tank with my 2 ACFs and my BP cichlid. How to I go about doing this? Is this dangerous to my current fish? Do the minnows have diseases that could spread to my other fish? If so how do I treat those diseases for the minnows? ***I've been doing daily 100% water changes with my minnows hoping to rid them of diseases.

Thanx, Alee

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to fishlore, alee. I am not sure about this, but I would think that the minnows don't belong in your existing tank, since they would not be compatible with the BP.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Can you provide pics of the minnows? Also, I would quaratine them in a seperate tank for at least a month.

4. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

I'll get pics later....Baking right now :;juggle

5. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

I've looked for my camera and I can't seem to find it! :;dk

6. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I don't think it will be too wise to put the minnows in before quarantining them first. You don't want to introduce any disease into the tank. Also, are the minnows coldwater? Then that won't be too good.

7. OP
    OP
    Alee C.

I am currently quarantining them. And I change the water everyday, trying to rid them of any diseases, is this a good idea? And I've been told that they should be in water of 70-75degrees. I usually keep my tank at this temp.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Is your QT filter cycled?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice