Adding Marine Aquarium Salt To Freshwater Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by FreshAquariums, Jul 1, 2016.

1. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariumsValued MemberMember

I heard that if you add Marine Aquarium (saltwater) Sea Salt to you aquarium it can like help your fish in different ways and of course can poison and practically instantly kill some fish. I went out and bought some and I came home only to realize... that idk how to do this, so is anyone here experienced with this sort of ordeal? if so can you help me please :;hi1
    nates_fish_tank_007.jpg

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Why do you want to add salt? What do you have in your tank?

3. scottishduck

scottishduckValued MemberMember

Even if you DID want to add it, which I don't know based on the information given if you want to or need to, I wouldn't want to put anything in my tank that I can't test for in some way... so step 1 for me would be purchasing a refractometer before doing anything else.

4. OP
    OP
    FreshAquariums

like I said before, I heard adding (not table) sea salt is good for some fish in a freshwater aquarium.

5. scottishduck

scottishduckValued MemberMember

Someone flagged my previous post (and reputation) as "Not really helpful...." so maybe this followup comment will be more helpful.

We don't know the fish in the tank in question.
    We don't know the size of the tank in question.
    We don't know the maintenance schedule or capabilities of the tank in question.
    We don't know the water parameters of the tank in question.
    We don't know if the tank in question was filled with tap water or RODI water.
    We don't know the water parameters of the tap water in question.

Without this information, we cannot give informed responses, especially without knowing the fish in question or the desired concentrations of salt.

I'll say it again, if I wanted to add salt to an aquarium, step 1 would be purchasing a  . Without this piece of equipment you cannot know the starting specific gravity of your water; you cannot know the final specific gravity of your tank; you cannot know if your dosing is correct; you cannot know if you accidentally overdosed and need to correct it.

But back to the main point of the thread: without knowledge of the fish involved, we cannot tell the original poster if they are even tolerant to salt or if salt is poisonous.

In short, we need more information to make an informed suggestion.

Hopefully this post was a little more helpful.

EDIT:
    But let's say for a minute I want to add 10 "salt" to my aquarium. The solution is to do a 10% water change with 10-20 "salt" daily for several days until my final concentration is 10 "salt." (for example) Mix the salt in with the water change water and slowly bring it up. It's all math. If you don't know where you are or where you're going, you can't possible know how to get there.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

It is not necessary and may do more harm than good. It does not necessary have benefits. What kind of fish do you have in your tank?

7. Flowingfins

FlowingfinsFishlore VIPMember

IMO, these fish are in freshwater for a reason. I don't think salt does anything of value, and using it as a preventative measure is not something I'd recommend. There are more negative's than pro's, I would return it. It's a waste of money in my opinion.

8. OP
    OP
    FreshAquariums

that's literally all I needed to know, thanks (im not going to put it in im gonna return it.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice