adding macro algae to display tank

toekneejo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
May be a dumb question but I have read thru different threads and don't see my answer so here goes nothing......

I am wanting to add macro algae to my DT due to not utilizing any other. I have 2 tangs one yellow and one blue and they both eat norI daily so..... what I was thinking is I could either cut back or even eliminate the norI by incorporating several different macro algaes and also eliminate using plactic plant decorations. I have been warned that my tangs would eat all of the macro but I would be ok with replacing on a fairly regular basis as long as it would not hurt the fish. So I guess my question is would placing it in the DT be detrimental to my tank? Is there such a thing as putting too much in the tank to where some could grow while the tangs were eating on others? I hope this makes sense enough that someone can answer it thanks in advance for your input.

OP
T

toekneejo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok let me add to the mix....... what if I were to heavily plant a new 120 gallon tank and allow it time to become established prior to putting the 2 tangs in the tank? Do you think that they would completely destroy the macro algae or would I be able to add to it from time to time and keep both the tangs happy and a nice look to the planted tank?

Mike

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm... I would think a couple tangs would be able to eat it faster than you could grow it. And the nicer looking macro algae are kind of expensive, especially if you had to replace it frequently.

You could try growing gracilaria in a separate tank and give it to the tangs as a treat once in a while. But having a "planted" saltwater tank would definitely be an interesting thing to watch develop though should you decide to go that route.

OP
T

toekneejo

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
thank you for the input and I am still wanting to do it so I will be getting my 120G tank next week and try it out the worst that happens is I waste a few dollars and the best is the pics I will get before they eat it all up

New Threads