adding leaves to water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by fishaddiction, Dec 19, 2012.

1. fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

I have 3 gallon Betta tank and wanted to add 1 leaf to tint the water and such. But what leaf's are ok to put in tanks -maybe one you find around the neighborhood- and how many should you put? Finally what are other benefits (pros and cons) other than making the tank tinted.

2. Quinn_Lamb98

Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

i know that one person used almond leaves in her tank, 3-4 i think and that was enough for a huge tank. tanned the water nicely

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Oak, maple, and Indian almond leaves are good :) I recently ordered IAL for my betta tank and 2 colored the water nicely for a 10g so I would say 1 IAL would be perfect for a 3g!!!

As for benifits IAL is believes to have healing properties in the tanins (what colors your water) plus it is more natural so the comfert of the betta is maximized :) I catch my betta swimming through the leaves like a giant jungal gym :)

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Indian Almond (aka catappa or (I think) ketapang) leaves are great. They have mild antifungal and I believe antibacterial properties besides the tannins.

5. OP
    OP
    fishaddiction

fishaddictionValued MemberMember

Where can I purchase Indian almond leaves? Also are oak ok or should I I stick with Indian almond leaves?

6. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

You can use oak :) if you're just going to coloring oak seems fine but for the added benifits I would go with IAL... also I bought mine on eBay. You can also see if any one here may have some to see you?

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Good link above on Indian Almond leaves.

I stuff a filter media bag full of Oak Leaves and add them into my tanks. Works great. I get them from my yard. Keep an eye on your pH levels.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice