adding leaves to water

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by fishaddiction, Dec 19, 2012.

1. fishaddictionValued MemberMember

I have 3 gallon Betta tank and wanted to add 1 leaf to tint the water and such. But what leaf's are ok to put in tanks -maybe one you find around the neighborhood- and how many should you put? Finally what are other benefits (pros and cons) other than making the tank tinted.

2. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

i know that one person used almond leaves in her tank, 3-4 i think and that was enough for a huge tank. tanned the water nicely

3. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Oak, maple, and Indian almond leaves are good :) I recently ordered IAL for my betta tank and 2 colored the water nicely for a 10g so I would say 1 IAL would be perfect for a 3g!!!

As for benifits IAL is believes to have healing properties in the tanins (what colors your water) plus it is more natural so the comfert of the betta is maximized :) I catch my betta swimming through the leaves like a giant jungal gym :)

4. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Indian Almond (aka catappa or (I think) ketapang) leaves are great. They have mild antifungal and I believe antibacterial properties besides the tannins.

5. fishaddictionValued MemberMember

Where can I purchase Indian almond leaves? Also are oak ok or should I I stick with Indian almond leaves?

6. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

You can use oak :) if you're just going to coloring oak seems fine but for the added benifits I would go with IAL... also I bought mine on eBay. You can also see if any one here may have some to see you?

7. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Good link above on Indian Almond leaves.

I stuff a filter media bag full of Oak Leaves and add them into my tanks. Works great. I get them from my yard. Keep an eye on your pH levels.

Ken