75 Gallon Tank Adding Large Fish While Using Seachem Stability

Jonathan2028

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon aquarium and bought some Seachem Stability to help me cycle it faster. When using this it says you can add fish to add ammonia to start the cycle. The fish I’m planning is a large Flowerhorn that a family’s member had in too small of a tank . Can the FH be added during to help with ammonia or is it not smart due to his size (about 10 inches)

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, it's kinda double edged on this one. Due to his size, unless he's a senior, he can handle water parameter changes and ammonia better than a juvenile. But at the same time he will produce a lot more waste so you will have to keep better track of the ammonia levels and make sure you are dosing correctly. I am personally a strong believer in fish-in cycles, but I've been doing them for a very long time and tend to keep my water in very good shape during. Otherwise I would encourage you to use ammonia to cycle it instead of a fish. Either way is fine as long as you keep up with maintenance.

CindyVBPets

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't. What a pain and you're not helping HIM.

It's going to be stressful enough for him as it is, let alone living with constant water changes which is what you will be looking at. Are you really prepared to eventually be doing HUGE water changes all the time and are you SURE 100% you won't "forget" to dose the tank with Prime to protect him from the spikes? You'd have to dose it every other day. That's part of the deal.

Then there's the whole "Am I cycled" "what do I do now" and other questions that are going to come up all the time for a month. Not all cycles run the same due to individual parameters like if you have nitrate in your source water to begin with.

Do you have cycled tanks now? You can use media from those/that tank(s). Does he live ALONE in the family member's tank? How big is it and what kind of filter and substrate do they have? If it's a little hang-on-back with carbon floss, never mind. But I was thinking of taking some of that tank's media to speed things up. What kind of filter are you using?

He lived THIS long in a too-small tank so let him stay there another month or whatever. Also I don't know a whole lot about this fish but I usually have the opinion that hybrid/man-made animals are not as genetically hardy. For example albino animals people keep insisting on breeding.

I would use Dr.Tim's Ammonia because they have a website with a lot of information, instructions, Q&A and blogs. Then you can turn up the heat, add a lot of ammonia, let it rip and just wait ...(and test) until you're cycled. And not have to worry about it. I'm sure you'd feel terrible if anything bad happened to the fish!

Healthy Aquariums, Reefs & Koi Ponds | DrTim's Aquatics

Señor Pescado

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Like most others here, I'd push for a fish-less cycle. For my last tank, I used Dr. Tim's Freshwater bacteria starter and Dr. Tim's ammonia (and later Ace Hardware ammonia). I dosed ammonia up to 2.0ppm each day, and I had a complete cycle within a few weeks.

Last edited:

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is this a newly set up 75g ?

Do you have cycled media from another tank?

I agree with the other members. I have used Dr. Tim's Ammonia + Tetra Safe Start to do a fishless cycle with good results. Bump up the temp and when the tank can process a couple of ppm of Ammonia in 24hrs, then it should be good to go.

If there is an Ace Hardware Store near where you live, they sell 100% pure ammonia with no surfactants or fragrances. That will work also. A quick google search will show you the correct dosing of the Ace ammonia to achieve the required ppm levels during cycling.

With a 75g and a flowerhorn, I would suggest using Seachem Safe, the powdered version of Prime. It is extremely concentrated and more cost effective, especially when doing large water changes. On my 55g and 75g I do 50-75% water changes, so I started using Seachem Safe.

Top Bottom