Adding Fresh Plants

Hadedc

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had a tank for a little bit and at the beginning my girlfriend kept adding fish when i told her not too, so I have not been able to do the full cycle. Its been cloudy for weeks now and i think fresh plants can help. Do i just add any plants, or are they specific ones that are better to help me cycle my aquarium. Anything helps!!

Maryellen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not sure about plants that help water quality, but as a beginner I’ve had nothing but good luck with Anubis.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Reaction score
Hadedc said:
I've had a tank for a little bit and at the beginning my girlfriend kept adding fish when i told her not too, so I have not been able to do the full cycle. Its been cloudy for weeks now and i think fresh plants can help. Do i just add any plants, or are they specific ones that are better to help me cycle my aquarium. Anything helps!!
Yes plants will help with overall water quality. And a non cycled tank will not hurt plants. Quite the opposite, as your cycle starts the live plants will help with ammonia.
There is an abundance of easy to care for plants. Crypts, anubis, Amazon sword, java moss to name a few

Utar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wait you have a girlfriend that buys you fish?

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Floaters with big root systems are good because they grow a lot of bb on their roots and use nutrients very fast. thats why most filterless tank you see will have floaters

Fisch

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with the floaters...
But otherwise there is not really a lot of information in the original threat. Could uou elaborate a bit more?
So I understand you are doing a fish in cycle. What are your parameters, how big of a tank, how many fish, filter, feeding, water changes?

fishnovice33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I assume this is a low tech tank with subpar lighting in which case simply google low tech aquarium plants and you get all kinds that don’t need high light, co2, quality substrate or much column dosing. In general plants have a much wider range of water parameters they can thrive in compared to fish so that’s not really too much a factor. Plants help but I would spend time on getting some nitrifying bottled bacteria, stress coat/dechlorinator, water test kit and keep up with water changes. That will be infinitely more effective than adding plants.

Also keep in mind plants will release co2 and can result in lower oxygen in the tank, especially when the lights are out and they’re not photosynthesizing, and for already stressed fish that is not going to help.

New Threads