adding fish

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I want to add some fish into julians tank and I am not sure if it matters if I add them while he is in the tank. since I am told you should let other fish find their own space first. I am thinking of adding either livebarers or corys. before I do that tho I do also plan on adding a snail and a couple more ghost shrimp after a couple died when I was on vacation. (different fish sitter next time)

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In a 10 gallon tank with a Betta, a Snail, and a possibility of 5 ghost shrimp, that is going to fill that tank.  Cories need to be kept in schools of 3 or more and the Betta and the Cories by themselves would fill a 10 gallon to capacity and perhaps then some.  (even with the Dwarf Cories)  It is just up to you whether you want more fish or the other inhabitants but I wouldn't have both as if Bettas become overcrowded (or at least what they feel is overcrowded) they can get to be aggressive toward all the other tank inhabitants as they are also territorial and the territory will be limited with that many in it.  I would say that you would need at least a 20 for that many inhabitants.

Julian, isn't going to care when you add someone to the tank, they are going to be entering his space as anyone entering the tank after a Betta is basically an interloper. So expect a little challenging but unless the tank is overfull I do not see any problem with adding any time as he has had the time to stake out his territory (which with most Bettas is the entire tank )

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
so would a snail a few shrimp about 3platys and a betta be too much for a 10 gallon?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes the Platys or the Shrimp would take up the same space I am afraid. You have to count the shrimp as if they are fish and the snail will add a load to the tank as well. The Betta already takes about a quarter of the load of the tank. Three Platys would finish filling the tank without the shrimp and snail. Since you already have shrimp and want to add more and a snail, I am afraid your tank is full with no more fish not even the Platys.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
a quarter? that is alot for one fish.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The general rule is 1" for a gallon less the fins. A betta can be 2 1/2" and that is 1/4 of the size of the fish that can be put in the 10 gallon. Platys run 2" and if you get 3 that is another 6" which would bring you up to 8 1/2" then if you have a snail - it would depend on the snail - a Mystery Snail would take up the other 1 1/2" easily. The shrimp would do 2" each and if you say you already have 3 then that is 6" and that would be 16" and that is 6" too many. So the Platys have to go or the Shrimp and then not add any more Shrimp. Sorry I am only going by the book.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom