Adding Fish

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by AquariumFish, Jul 30, 2015.

1. A

AquariumFish New Member Member

So I have a setup 55 gallon tank that has been cycled and is up for about a year now. But since then I did not really get many middle tank swimmers in their so I was looking at Giant danios since this is a more or less community aquarium. I say more or less because I have two small freshwater Angels in there so I did not want to risk putting neon tetras or other smaller fish in their so I thought giant danios were perfect. Since these are colorful, pretty large, and active middle swimmers of the tank.

So my question is can I put in 10 Giant Danios, 3 Beosmani Rainbows, and 2 Preacox Rainbows in with ought going over the bio load??

Right now I have 2 bio wheel 350 filters in their and the tank came with only one so I got a second in their so I could add almost double the fish.

My current inhabitents of the tank are...

2 small-medium angelfish, 2 blue gourami, 6 Cory cats, 2 kuhli loaches, 1 upside down catfish,2 bristlenose plecos,and 2 angelicus Botias

Thanks so much I really apreciate all replies!!!

2. chrt396

chrt396 Well Known Member Member

Many will say that the Rainbows do best in a school of 6 or more of same speices. Maybe they do...but I have twosies of a Red Irian, 1 Turquoise, 2 Bosemanni, 2 Marci, 1 Emerald and they do VERY well. GREAT color and NO casualties..except when my tank experienced a period of questionable parameters..I lost a Bosemanni. The group of them swim together and chase each other...but not in an aggressive way. Rainbows are great!! I havent had luck with the Praecox Rainbows however. They seem to croak pretty easily...for me. Maybe a bad batch...but bought 6 and all died. I might suggest a Roseline Shark or what is known as a Dennison Barb. They get larger, but if you get males..the colors are striking! NO food will reach the bottom, and if it does..they will search it out. Mine are VERY good looking colorful fish. Check it out on Google. They are a lot nicer than a Giant Danio..believe me. Especially when they mature.

3. OP
    OP
    A

I will certainly check it out!! Thanks for the info on the rainbows.
    I was also thinking about adding some of these plants to my aquarium... Do you have any experience with these plants or do you know anybody who has experience with these plants... Thanks!!!

Cobomba (fanwort)
    Cutleaf WaterMilfoil
    Hornwort

4. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

I would like to see a picture of your set up. if possible. thanks

5. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

You're problem here is that boesamani rainbows are 81-86 F temperature fish, whereas giant danios are a cooler water fish. I believe 74-76. I ran into this exact same problem when I wanted to stock both in my 55.
    However, giant danios are very active and quite fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. chrt396

Actually...The Rainbows usually are kept best in the 72 - 82 degree range which is a wide range. I run at 80 degrees. They are quite active and show NO signs of stress. They are without a doubt, the most active fish in the tank. Most publications will tell you the same as far as temperature range. Danios also are very similar in the range of temperatures that they can thrive in. The rainbows just have a TON of personality and are crazy fast eaters. They do however..like clean water.

Even though I love plants...I really dont follow the names of them. If you check out my signature...I have a 90 gallon that is filled with different plants. Have no clue what they are...except I know I have some crypts in my foreground. Thats about all I know. I love plants though. The one you want to contact is @Dolfan. He actually sells his cuttings and plants. He has an extensive knowledge of plants and their care. By posting this..HOPEFULLY..he will respond. It all depends on his mood! LOL.

I personally have not had all that much luck keeping plants with needle type branches and leaves..even though some of them are suitable for beginners. I prefer the lusher foliage with broad leaves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2015
  7. kidster9700

Well that makes me mad. I had read 72-82 before as well, but when I posted my stocking plan was told "no no no they need 80+" :mad:

8. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you're confusing Rainbow Cichlids with Boesemani Rainbowfish... Rainbow cichlids do best in 72-82, while Boesemani are 81-86, both of these I found on Seriously Fish.

9. kidster9700

See, that's what I was thinking.

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ugh, they need to update the scientific name of the rainbow cichlid. It's currently Archocentrus multispinosus. And I believe that rainbow cichlids can be in 69-86 Fahrenheit, too....

11. chrt396

I am aware of the difference between the Rainbow fish...ex: Bosemanni..vs Rainbow Cichlid. The range that is published has a much greater range.than what you have posted. Living in Florida...Many of these are raised on a farm in captivity...and trust me..there are no chillers being used. Not many tanks run under 78-80 degrees...unless the environment they are in is exceptional..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830+886 States one range
      From the UK..but still applies
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/rainbowfish/aquarium.php

I guess I go by behavior and their colors.. They are not stressed or aggressive. Their appetite is good. Their colors are strong.

In the wild, these Rainbows are exposed to much larger swings in temperature. If you read the one article, you'll see that the waters get to 95 degrees!! All you'd have to do is add butter and salt and pepper!

12. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks for all the advice... I am a newbie to fishlore and I do t know how to post images from my photo album...
    Sorry, could anyone explain this for me
    Thanks!!!
    (I am such a newbie)

I wanted to post to show a picture of my tank so you guys can help me decide on fish and plants... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  13. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

14. OP
    OP
    A

I have an Apple iPhone 5 that I am usually posting with and instead of having the moon thing over the digital keyboard I have nothing... Just ( browser back or forward, "AutoFill Password" and then done...???

15. OP
    OP
    A

Anyway I was also thinking about Buenos Aires Tetras instead of the giant danio's deos anybody have an opinion/expierience with these???....

Thanks

16. chrt396

I had 6 of them in my 90 gallon tank. They are VERY hardy. They tend to be aggressive & extreme fin nippers. They CAN present a problem in a tank at times. They are cool, hardy fish, They will definitely fuel a chaotic tank. I had 6 in my 90 as I said. They were terrorizing the others, so I caught 4 of them and gave them to a young guy at Petco who had some Colombian Tetras. I couldn't catch the other two without ripping up all my plants. Surprisingly enough...the two that were left are exceptionally well behaved. So much for the "Have them in a school" theory.

17. OP
    OP
    A

lol tanks for the relply!!!

Would you recommend giant danio's or these beunos aires tetras

Or the dennison barb... Sorry forgot

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  18. chrt396

Definitely the Dennison Barb!

19. OP
    OP
    A

I was looking at the dennison and it is really pricey ($25 a fish)!!!?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  20. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Should only be about $9-10, that's what I seen at 2 LFSs around bere

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice