Adding Fish To Uncycled Tank

Yeedle

Reaction score
To start off, I am a beginner in the hobby and was given very bad information that I can only do a fish in cycle and which fish I can start with. I now know how wrong that was but am a few weeks in (6) and just trying to hold on while taking care of the fish as best as I can.

- I started the unplanted 10g tank with 7 neon tetras and 5 panda cories (I know a lot for an uncycled tank...).
- I have been doing about a 30% water change every two days to keep ammonia at bay. Also use prime and stability during water changes
- I lost 3 neon tetras to ich very early on, which I have since treated and it appears to be gone.
- I lost 2 panda cories very early on but they were very small and due to the redness assumed they died from ammonia poisoning
- Things have been pretty stable lately while testing water daily. Ammonia is going down and starting to see nitrites rise.

This morning I lost another panda Cory and since he was turning very dark and the fact that I am starting to see nitrites I am assuming he died from nitrite/oxygen issues as I heard that changes thier blood darker color which makes them look darker.

My question at this point is that since I have schooling and shoaling fish, should I add more for the sake of the fish currently in the tank (2 pandas and 4 neons) or just hope they make it until the cycle is over and then add more then?

Thanks for the help.

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Personally I would definitely wait until the tank cycles... If you ad more to the bioload you might lose more fish.. and the next be right back were you were... With just more money down the drain!!! The fish will be ok until your tank cycles!!

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of us have been where you are at one point in our fish keeping journey so please don't beat yourself up over following the advice of those that sold you the fish.

At this point I wouldn't add any more fish. I would just keep a very close eye on the numbers and continue with the water changes as needed.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’d wait. I have 3 neon’s in a QT tank that have been just fine for over a month.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Here is the thing about your 10 gallon. They are very limited to what you can stock. a 10 gallon is actually too small for your corydoras and tetras since they need at least 6 per school and must be in at least 20 gallons. I also would wait for the aquarium to cycle before you get anything else.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom