Adding Fish To Tank Question

1. c

cody11 Initiate Member

Hi all,
    I have a 20 gal tank. 3 black skirt tetras. want to add 5 or 6 tiger barbs. Will these work ok together. Also how many fish this size in a 20 gal tank. I am thinking these two spices are the same size so should be ok together. Need your help. Thanks

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

I wouldn’t add any tiger barbs; far too nippy in smaller numbers, and especially when you’ve got those longer fins on the skirt tetras.

Why not increase the school of your skirt tetras instead? Anywho, a 20g is a bit too small to have two schools (unless you were doing nano fish, of course)

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Yep, It will most likely be fine. Though I would go with five band barbs as they are less aggressive.

Also make sure there is at least 6 black skirts.

4. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Honestly, I wouldnt do Tiger Barbs in a 20 with other fish (I wouldnt do them in a 20, period). They CAN get up to and over 4", which is quite large, and they are usually huge jerks when kept in smaller groups and smaller tanks. I kept them for a number of years in a 30 gallon, then moved them into a 55 gallon community when they got too big for the 30 and had nothing but trouble with them. They are one fish I have no interest in ever keeping again.

5. bettafanatic

bettafanatic Well Known Member Member

I also wouldn't do tiger barbs in with black skirts or even In a 20g. I had 13 tigers in a 55g and let me tell you, once they became adults, the tank seemed too small in my opinion. Tigers are beautiful and so much fun to watch with their energy but they need a bigger tank. They love to chase and nip and will dart in and out of plants.

6. OP
    OP
    c

cody11 Initiate Member

Hi everyone I just wanted color in my tank. Are there white skirts? If so I would get half and half.

7. GettinTanked

GettinTanked Member Member

8. OP
    OP
    c

cody11 Initiate Member

I just looked it up. So white skirt , black shirt, and glo are same specie and will go together?

9. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

In short, yes :)

10. midna

midna Member Member

serpae tetras could be another option