Adding fish to newly cycled tank

paulus

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I understand the practice of stocking a new tank a few fish at a time, but what do you do when it comes to fish that like to be in small schools. Do you add say, all 6 at once, or do you still stick to adding a couple a week?

Jmarcus

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I started my tank I asked myself the same Question. But I added six tiger barbs over the next few weeks I lost three fish I was sad. But I waited a few more weeks and got brave enough to get three more, after a day maybe less they were all buddys and swam good together. I still have those six fish, except for an ocassonel fight, they still love one another.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, it depends on how large the tank is. If the tank is, say, 75 or 90 gallons, I don't think it would be dangerous to add to it 6 small schooling fish (like neon tetras, for example). But if the tank is only 10 - 20 gallons, adding 6 even small fish at once may be dangerous. How large is your tank? If it's anywhere between 10 - 30 gallons, I'd put only half of the school at first, then - maybe a week later - put the other half of the school in. If the tank is 10 gallons, I wouldn't put in there more than 2 - 3 small fish at first.

If you add too many fish, even though the tank is cycled, ammonia and/or nitrite can suddenly go up. It is for this reason why it's important to stock only few fish at a time. It is also very important to acclimatize properly any new fish that you get. Please remember to acclimatize. Here is some information on how to do this: https://www.fishlore.com/acclimating-tropicalfish.htm.

dan da man3042

Reaction score
add al of them a once . it will create more stress otherwise
i bought 2 clown loaches once and put them in new water and they got a disease cald white spot or ick and all the fish we bought after thast died because they got it aswell>cauz the treatment didnt work.
bbuy a group of them and keep replacing them when they die or all of them will die. i hav experienced this
dan

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Dan Da Man ... it's actually not very safe to put them all at once into a new tank, even though it is cycled. Your fish got sick and died probably because you either did not acclimatize them properly, or you got an ammonia and/or nitrite spike when you put your fish into your tank. Or, if your tank wasn't finished cycling - this is why they might have gotten sick and died as well. And it DOES matter a lot whether the tank you're stocking is large or small, and how many fish you're adding to that large or small tank - as I have explained above.

P.S. Another possibility is that you could have bought sick fish already, however I suspect it was rather one of the above situations.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom