Adding Fish to Large Aquarium

1. WYgirl Initiate Member

I know that you should only add a a fish or two to an aquarium at a time and they should be isolated for a short time frame, but I have some other questions about the subject.
    Does the isolation tank need to be cycled, or could I put my fish in it while my real aquarium is going through the process of being cycled? What about schooling fish; do you add 1 or 2, or a shoal at once?
    Also, I don't live anywhere close to a pet-store or place that sells fish (don't worry, I can get supplies relatively easily if I have to). We don't often travel to places with fish for sale either; so if I add fish one or two at a time, it would take me well over a year to stock my aquarium! Is there a way around this?
    I know you can buy fish online, but the shipping is so expensive and it would cost me A LOT. Like $100-200+ a lot. Just for the fish!
    Any advice or ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Yes it should be cycled.
    as for q2 go with both options and add a smallgroup, if you plan to keep a school of 12, add 6 for example.
    im not sure what youwanna keep, but they sound like pricy fish. You could see what people around you have and offer to take their fry.
    if you lived next door to me id toss you some plecs :)

3. WYgirl Initiate Member

I wish I lived near you! So far, I've found nobody near me with fry they're trying sell though (I have a friend who considered breeding their bettas, but I don't think they did). I guess that's a disadvantage of small (like less than 200 people small) ranching towns. The fish themselves aren't all that pricey, it's just paying to ship them to such a remote location over and over again. I've been looking at betta fish, neon tetras, fancy guppies, zebra danios, platys, and a few others. Obviously, I won't be able to get all of them, but I would like to get 12+ fish for the pond/aquarium (it's kinda both) I plan on getting. It'll hold between 40 and 45 gallons and I'd probably divide it into a few sections.
    Thanks for replying!