Adding Fish To Betta Tank Help!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lance3237, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Lance3237

Lance3237 Valued Member Member

im wanting to add another fish to my betta tank which currently holds
    1 x halfmoon betta (VERY peaceful)
    6 x julli cory doras
    i was thinking danios or gbr it is a 20 gallon aquarium so definatly should be room for some more run on a canister filter leave suggestions please

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Danios and julli cories need cooler water than bettas. A GBR might be ok depending on your betta's temperament but I wouldn't risk it.

3. OP
    OP
    Lance3237

Lance3237 Valued Member Member

i already said the betta is very peacful has lives with other fish and have not seen it chase or flare up once

4. sassymomma

sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I find that the best way to add others to the betta tank is to add them into a breeder net(or open bag, pegged to the top of the tank while you acclimate) for an hour before releasing them. This gives the betta plenty of time to check them out and disregard or object to their presense in his tank. You will know within 45 minutes if he has a problem with tank mates.

Another great way to add is to put the betta into a seperate place(betta jar, etc) and re-introduce him to what is now a community tank. He would be the one in the breeder net in this case...

Assuming no flaring, and he wanders off to do other things, you should be able to release them. Keep the breeder net handy in case he objects once they're free,and have a back-up plan.

It's true, some betta are social personalities. Mine did better in my community tank than he does in his own digs. Just be careful not to overload him with new neighbours, because he is after all a territorial fish ;)

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Even if you do want to keep a betta with other fish, the cories you have him with now aren't temperature compatible with him. Keeping these cories at the higher temps needed by the betta will cause them to have a shortened lifespan. Not really fair to them.

A GBR is asking for disaster, in my opinion. I would not keep a betta with any cichlids.

If you rehome the false julii cories, you could add 8x kuhli loaches? I think bettas should be kept alone (they're not social fish), but if you must, kuhlis are a good choice - they're temp compatible, they fit in a 20 gal high comfortably, and they stay out of the betta's way.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Is it a 20 long or tall? I agree with TD's advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice