Adding Fish In Same Day

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t if I could help. How many ppm ammonia aid your tank cycling in 24 hours? Are you planning on putting anything else in the tank? Part of my concern is that from my experience (limited with them) Cardinal tetras are delicate & do better going into an established tank. If you are getting them by mail & don’t have a choice (I understand shipping them together would be less expensive than paying for shipping twice), then I would say ramp up the quantity of ammonia your tank can process in 24 hours prior to their arrival. Or, if there are other fish going into the tank start with them. Or, if you are getting them locally do it in groups of 5.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I currently have 2 fish (Silver Dollar and Rainbow Shark) I got when I first got the tank theu are not appropriate for the tank but I'm keeping them right now to keep the tank cycled. I plan to donate these fish to my lfs when I get my fish in. Do you think there is enough bb to add 10? If not I'm okay with adding lower amounts. And in the case of the shrimp are they okay to add in a larger number? I also have other fish I could add first just thought these would be the best to add first.

r_e_g

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How big are the silver dollar and rainbow shark? If they're leaving as soon as the cardinals and shrimp arrive, I'd think you might be OK if the biomass of the 2 batches are roughly equivalent.

You could also donate them now and add ammonia or fish food or something to keep the tank cycled until you get the new fish. Then you could ramp up the ammonia input if you wanted to be sure your bacteria population is sufficient.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you have to add all the Cardinals at the same time, then using Stability ( as per Smalltown ) will help tremendously. Good luck.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Along with this fish I already stated I am getting 8 emerald Cory cats, 8 X-ray Tetra would any of these be more suited to be the first fish in my tank? I'm also getting a German Blue Ram but I believe it's best to add this fish last.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hmm, if this is the same 29g, I'm afraid you're going to be overstocked. I would suggest 8 Cardinals, 6 Emerald cats and the GBR. You can add shrimps and or snails. Hope this helps.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had fewer numbers and another well know member said I was able to increase them. I may remove the Cardinal Tetras as I feel they are a softer fish and I'm fairly new so I should stick with something more hardy.

I read the X-ray Tetra a more better fish for beginners

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree that the X-ray is easier for beginners. I would still suggest you lower the school of cats to 6. You will also want to keep the temp at 80F min for the GBR. Good luck.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This is how big the 2 fish left in my tank are. Would the bio load between them and the X-rays be about equal? If a better picture is required I'll try to get another one.

Attachments

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's why I was wondering on adding tetra with shrimp would be okay as I know their bioloads are small compared to fish like those 2.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all the help and even going alittle further helping me improve my stock.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom