Adding Fish. Correct Amounts Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Nickguy5467, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467

Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    1 year
    so. when i buy fish i usually get 3 at a time only to be safe from ammonia spiking. but ive seen some fish online id like to get (but i dont cuz shipping is crazy) where you are only able to get them like 3,6,12 and so on . though for the life of me i dont know why you would only get 3 fish with 40 dollar shipping tag.

um, anyway, what is the maximum amount of fish you can put in your tank at one time? does it depend solely on your filtration etc?

ever since i modified my two quietflow cartridge filters to just being stuffed with sponges , biomax and floss i havent had any issues with ammonia at all. so to be safe i thought i would ask here about the amount of fish i can add to my tank at one time

2. wishkahryan

wishkahryanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    1 year
    It kind of depends on the tank size and the size of fish you are getting. I usually add 5 fish to my 30 gal tank but that is tetras and other small fish without a problem.

3. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well its going to come down to how big is the tank and what’s in it already. You could add 6 tetras to a 30g with 15 smaller fish in it. But you wouldn’t want to add 6 angelfish. Maybe 2. Your filters have bacteria in them for the amount of fish in there. If you add to many the waste will probably throw your tank into a mini cycle. So you want to add enough to keep that from happening :).

4. OP
    OP
    Nickguy5467

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    1 year
  5. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would add a school of 6 of another type of tetras or Rasboras or even the small rainbow fish. Add them first wait a week and add some more Cory’s.

6. OP
    OP
    Nickguy5467

Ratings:
    +109
    Experience:
    1 year
    thats my question though. how many fish can i add without that happening?

7. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    You could happily add a small school of schooling fish like Tetras or gold barbs etc without causing yourself a issue. They don't particularly make that much mess to damage your current systems control.

8. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,071
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would up the cory school to 6-8 then a week later add the 6 neons then a week later add 3-4 more guppies and you should be good. Always test your parameters before and after adding fish and monitor for the next week till more fish are added and so on. I have a 55 that was pretty well stocked already and then added 12 vonrio tetras without a glitch. So as others said if their smaller fish you probably won't experience any spikes. Good Luck. Pics are always encouraged!. :)

9. Andy S

Andy SValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +75
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You already have 12 relatively small fish in the tank. Assuming that your filter is coping with the current bioload I would say that adding another 5 or 6 neons will not cause you any issues, the filter should cope with the extra load without any problems. Just to be on the safe side I would cut back on the feeding for a few days when you add them and test your water every day for the first week. An established filter should be able to catch up pretty quickly.