Adding Fish After Tank Is Cycled

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've been waiting for 3 weeks. After a week, my 10 gallon was cycled. But, my dad says I can't get fish until I reach a certain incentive. I dosed ammonia for 2 weeks and I'm running out. I can feel my cycle crashing. When my readings go down, I suggested adding 2 fish (guppies or endlers), and the rest I would have to earn. He wants to make sure that this is the best option.

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
emmysjj said:
I've been waiting for 3 weeks. After a week, my 10 gallon was cycled. But, my dad says I can't get fish until I reach a certain incentive. I dosed ammonia for 2 weeks and I'm running out. I can feel my cycle crashing. When my readings go down, I suggested adding 2 fish (guppies or endlers), and the rest I would have to earn. He wants to make sure that this is the best option.
If he doesn't go for it you could always just use flake food as ammonia to keep your BB happy and alive until he lets you get some fish.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm worried I'll dose too long and use my cycle (plus I really want fish ).

Also I heard it wasn't the most reliable thing.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dosing the cycle is literally the same thing as having fish - you're just skipping the fish part of it. If you added ammonia to that tank daily, you could keep that cycle going for an indefinite amount of time.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's only a 10 gallon tank, your going to have to get some more ammonia to keep thr cycle from crashing or a couple guppies. It may as well be s couple of guppies to get you used to taking care of fish
Won't be much more money.
emmysjj said:
Also I heard it wasn't the most reliable thing.

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Whether you reach the “incentive” goal set by your parent is up to you. If you have the money to buy two guppies you probably have the money to buy more ammonia. There is nothing wrong with adding fish if you are cycled. One week is really fast for a cycle- how did you cycle it? What are your current water parameters that lead you to conclude you are cycled?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom