Adding Fish After Cycling

1. Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13 Well Known Member Member

So my tank is cycled, and I want to add more fish.( I did a fish in cycle. ) how many should I add Ata a time, and how often?
    Thanks

2. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

In theory you can add a lot because you dosed with at least 2ppm ammonia I assume? I still add them in a few smaller waves but I don't stretch it out forever because a new tank can basically be treated as a QT tank. After I have a healthy community for a month I then use the QT tank for any future additions, which does not have unlimited space. So I like to get most of the fish in the community before too long. This isn't a risk free strategy. I probably wouldn't do it if my fish came from the chain LFS.

3. OP
    OP
    Philippians 4:13

I didn't dose with 2ppm of ammonia......I just cycled and did W/C and my ammonia went back down to 0. I was wondering for a 30 gallon tank, how many fish to add at one time, and how often? Every week? Every 2 weeks?

Thanks!

4. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

I would recommend weekly, and be prepared to test and add prime after each batches your beneficial bacteria has to catch up with the larger bioload.

As On The Fly says at some point in the very near future a qt tank will become necessary to protect your main tank. Not all use them but if getting from an unreliable source (chain store, unknown lfs, online) I would recommend one. I have large family owned lfs near me that I trust if I have watched their stock for several weeks, but that's a risk I would not take from fish bought anywhere else.

5. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

So you only added 2ppm ammonia once and waited for it to go away?

Your tank will not be fully cycled until the following two things happen
    1. You have no nitrites at all
    2. Your tank can fully cycle at least 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours

EDIT: said nitrates instead of nitrites

6. OP
    OP

I did not add any ammonia. Now I am confused. I thought nitrates were a GOOD thing.
    Also, how do I add ammonia?

7. bNissan

I edited my original post because I meant nitrites.

If you had any ammonia at all before your water change it is likely that the tank wasn't cycled.

What did you do to cycle your tank?

8. OP
    OP

9. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

He stated that he did a fish-in cycle so he is cycled for that bioload. But any new additions and the beneficial bacteria will have to catch up.

10. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

In the original post, the OP said he did a fish in cycle. So where does all this 2 ppm ammonia stuff come from?

You have a thirty, and how many fish will depend on what ones you want. I have never had the slightest problem, increasing by 4-6 small tetra sized fish at a time. Forget the Prime - it is a waste of money of you don't have ammonia in your tap. Just build slowly, and steadily. without going crazy with additions.

11. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

You have fish already in your tank, right? You did a fish-in cycle, correct? I think the previous poster is indicating that you did it wrong by doing a fish-in cycle and you should have cycled by dosing your tank daily with ammonia until the bacteria built up to the level capable or processing 2ppm ammonia daily. But, you're in for a penny, in for a pound now. I wouldn't go adding ammonia to a tank with fish trying to live in it.

12. OP
    OP

So I would be fine, since I am cycled, to add 6 more zebra danios, then watch the water conditions? When I get them they are less than 2" long. I want to get the danios in a school, but I do have 3.0 ppm of ammonia in my tap.

Thanks! I was trying to clear up the confusion because they started talking about 2 ppm of ammonia and I never did.

13. bNissan

My mistake, I didn't know he had his original post and assumed from the first two comments that he was cycling with ammonia. Did you edit in the fish in cycle or did I completely miss it?

I was concerned that he still had ammonia in his tank that he removed with a water change.

14. OP
    OP

I think you just missed it.:)

15. bNissan

I apologies, guess i'm still waking up :p

16. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

I just recognize "Phil" from another previous thread so I knew s/he had fish already in that tank.

17. OP
    OP

If I have 3 ppm of ammonia in my tap, can I still add the 4-6 tetra-sized fish to my tank?

18. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

If you have that much ammonia, then I think you need to discuss here with someone who has the same level of polluted water around. The number of US aquarists dealing with ammonia in their tap water has been one the biggest surprises I have encountered here at fishlore. It's pretty disturbing.

19. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Sorry about that, I didn't read your OP carefully enough.

20. OP
    OP

@NavigatorBlack,
    So how many fish do you think I can add with my water conditions?
    Or do you suggest I talk to someone else?

Thanks for all of your help!