Adding Dwarf Gouramis to established 20g

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm thinking about adding two or three Dwarf Gouramis to my 20 gallon tank and would appreciate some opinions. I currently have one Mystery snail, one Nerite Snail, and one Molly. I've got some Anubias Nana and Java Fern as well. I keep a spreadsheet log of all my water parameters, water changes, etc. My average water parameters are...
PH: 8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
KH: 6.3 (113.1 ppm)
GH: 10.3 (184.6 ppm)
Temp: 78-80

Would Gouramis be happy under these conditions?

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From my experience and a few others, Mollies and Dwarf GouramI never seem to coexist peacefully.
I'd also say it's on the small side for multiple Dwarf Gourami, even 1M-2F, If it's a 20 Long i'd say maybe but a 29 or bigger would be better.

Edit: If you're just keeping Females, i'd say that's ok, still not with the Molly.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Only ever 1 male. Even if the tank is 100+g lol one will claI'm the entire thing as his.

It could work with the mollies, it may not. Mine are mortal enemies.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. My granddaughter has her heart set on Dwarf Gouramies so we're going to try for a male/female pair. Hopefully they won't be too hard to sex at the LFS, otherwise it'll only be one until we can find another of the opposite sex.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mongo75 said:
Thank you all for the replies. My granddaughter has her heart set on Dwarf Gouramies so we're going to try for a male/female pair. Hopefully they won't be too hard to sex at the LFS, otherwise it'll only be one until we can find another of the opposite sex.
I wish you luck. Female dwarf gouramis are rarely available in stores.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
I wish you luck. Female dwarf gouramis are rarely available in stores.
So I've read :(

We have two Petsmarts, one Petco and one LFS. SlI'm pickn's to be sure. I'm not counting on anything but a single male, then start researching something else with some good color that will be compatable.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Maybe if you explained to your granddaughter that it's hard to find a female dwarf gouramI she'll agree to get another variety. Just please don't get multiple males. I haven't tried it, but it's my understanding that it will almost invariably end with only one left alive. The dwarf species also seems to be more susceptible to health problems than most of the others.

New Threads