Adding Different Types of Rams to a Tank...

abailey41

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In a few weeks I'll have a larger planted tank ready and I want to add more Rams to the tank. I currently have 2 Balloon Blue Rams in my tank and they well together as well as with my Congo Tetras and Corys.... My questions is: If I go with a different species of the Rams (let's say the Bolivian Rams)... Is there an issue there (territorial perhaps). The guy at the fish store mentioned Rams getting accumulated in pairs but I wasn't quite sure if that meant among all species or just the size of the tank (30-36 Gal).

Please let me know if any of you have any experience with this...

Thanks

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn't try it in anything less than a 50, and even that I feel is pushing the limit. I have 2 Gold and 2 Bolivian and so far its all good, but its only been 10 days lol. My friend had them in a 75 but his tank cracked due to uneven stand so now they are mine lol.

OP
A

abailey41

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
alink said:
I wouldn't try it in anything less than a 50, and even that I feel is pushing the limit. I have 2 Gold and 2 Bolivian and so far its all good, but its only been 10 days lol. My friend had them in a 75 but his tank cracked due to uneven stand so now they are mine lol.
Ok Sounds good, just curious to the thought.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, I wouldn't add any more. I have two female GBR's in my 35 and though most of the time they get along, one definitely chases the other way here and there, especially during feeding time. I think if you had 4 they would feel a lot of stress. Not only that but if they actually pair up to mate they will get very territorial.

OP
A

abailey41

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
cmclien said:
Hi, I wouldn't add any more. I have two female GBR's in my 35 and though most of the time they get along, one definitely chases the other way here and there, especially during feeding time. I think if you had 4 they would feel a lot of stress. Not only that but if they actually pair up to mate they will get very territorial.
Ok, they really enjoy the tank right now... doesn't seem like they feel threatened... they like schools of other peaceful fishes.

New Threads