Adding Colloidal silver to fishtank Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tatty_kassy, Apr 12, 2010.

1. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Hello!
    I read an article about the effects of Colloidal silver on fish 16 inches or less in reguards to scale health and healing injuries.
    I read the levels reguarding toxicity and it had to be quite high, so I figured if I added a capful to my 25 gal tank it wouldn't be a danger.
    That was 2 days ago and I have noticed that my fish are all quite vibrant now. My Blackskirt tetra is much darker then he was before, my Guppy is a deep purple and brilliant peach, and my danio's are heavily patterned now.

Has anybody else tried doing this???

2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

I have not tried it....but I would worry about it killing the beneficial bacteria and making your cycle all messed up....stress coat+ and vita chem can do the same thing and is more natural IMO

3. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

They arn't injured or anything, I just figured that if it is great for scale health, then I would try a small amount to see what happens. I use it quite a bit myself for a variety of things, and the article didn't say anything about it being toxic unless in large amounts.
    My Danios are all squirrley now too, they usually swim around the top alot but mostly just patrolling, now they are all over the place and darting around the rocks and plants much faster.
    I dunno, I was curious to see if anyone else has tried this or does this and could maybe recommend a good dose amount for a 25 gal? It seems to make them happy, they look healthy and are eating, they are just alot more active and pretty to look at...
    And my tank is all cycled, I have been checking the levels daily since Mar 21 and there has been no ammonia, no nitrites, and nitrates have been steady at 15, I do weekly 20% changes and cleanings of 1/4 the tank. I had been asking people on here about it a few weeks ago and they said if the levels keep up for a few more, I should consider it cycled. :)

Edit: Also, what is Stress Coat/Vita Chem made of?? I was under the impression Colloidal silver is quite natural... ???

4. Danionins.com

Danionins.comValued MemberMember

I wonder if it will eventually turn them silver/blue - like it does to the people who take it?

Dennis

5. Shawnie

if you have no injuries and such, medicating fish "just because" probably isnt good for them or the tank...

6. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

Well so far I am not blue! lol :)
    I wasn't doing it with the intention of medicating them, I did it with the intention of giving them a higher immunity and scale health? I thought it was along the lines of say, eating certain things to improve health.

Anywho, I didn't post this to get into an arguement, I just wanted to know if anybody else on this board has tried this or knows anything about it in terms of a good dose amount for a 25 gal tank.

7. Shawnie

no ones arguing :) but instead of using stuff like this, use some more natural things that are fish friendly....stress coat+, vita chem, and even adding fresh garlic juice to all their foods, will do what the other stuff does...ive NEVER heard of it being used for other than healing up wounds, skin losses etc..and then its very sketchy and not recommended by most...they are your fish to do as you please though :) just letting you know there are more natural ways to get the same result....and again, keep a close eye on your cycle as I dont think your bacteria colony is going to care for it ;)

edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_uses_of_silver

both links are not very fish friendly IMO but I do hope things are ok!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  8. Danionins.com

Danionins.comValued MemberMember

If you are taking this yourself, I highly urge you to do a Google search on it. My father received some propaganda about this stuff several years ago, and when we checked it out I was shocked by what it does to people!

Dennis

9. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

I would comment on that but I have been told that I should not discuss things that do not have to do with fish on this site. I respect your opinion, however I have done my own research and feel quite comfortable with my usage of colloidal silver.

So far nobody seems to know much about how it is used, so I will continue to keep an eye on things and try to figure things out for myself. So far, the fish are doing great and are still quite vibrant and active. I checked the levels again this morning, they are still holding strong.

Thanks for the input though! :)

10. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Colloidal silver is silver, which is natural. It is atomized, which is not. Also, it should be pointed out that mercury, uranium, arsenic, and copper are natural, yet all would be bad to add to a fish tank. Not saying that this makes colloidal silver bad... just saying that it being natural doesn't automatically make it good.

I have two concerns about using colloidal silver in any sort of broad-based manner, and especially as a prophylactic.
    Colloidal silver is a general antibiotic. It will kill pretty much any single celled critter it can get its hands on, including the beneficial flora that lives in the mucus coat of the fish, and in the digestive tract. These bacteria are the fishes' first-line defense against infection, and may serve other purposes (digestive, for example).
    Second, because it is a general antibiotic, it is likely to kill off the nitrifying bacteria, as Shawnie mentioned.

However, if I had a fish with a particular injury, especially if it was a fish that was big enough to temporarily remove from the water to work on, colloidal silver could be extremely useful in treating open wounds.
    It may also be useful as a backup for those occasions where medication is needed immediately, but there is no immediate access to the pet store. (Over the years, we've had to help a few people find emergency treatment when they had pet stores that weren't open over the weekend.)

Whatever the case, we'll be interested to hear the results, particularly on whether or not the nitrogen cycle is negatively affected. It's always good to expand the aquarist's toolkit, and learn the ups and downs of different treatments.

11. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

Very interesting......I guess I will have to see, so far I have only added a capful and have done a 20% water change since then. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to check the levels again since I just did the change last night.
    I will let you know how it turns out, good or bad! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice