Question Adding clay pots

Kitley

Reaction score
Hi there all...Purchased some clay pots, the outside seems plain but the inside has a bit of a protective finish maybe, Hubby was able to enlarge the small hole in the bottom, so fish don't get stuck. I tried vinegar on inside and outside..no fizzing. Does this mean they are safe for my aquarium? There are no colours added to them.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the pots you bought, and photos of the area you're talking about? I buy mine from Home Depot and Lowe's, and just get the basic terracotta pots. If you're not in the US, your local garden center should have them. If they are glazed, or sealed in some way, I would be leery of using them. While I'm no expert, it's my understanding that some glazes contain lead, and personally, I don't want that in my tank :).

OP
K

Kitley

Reaction score
Mongo75 said:
Do you have a link to the pots you bought, and photos of the area you're talking about? I buy mine from Home Depot and Lowe's, and just get the basic terracotta pots. If you're not in the US, your local garden center should have them. If they are glazed, or sealed in some way, I would be leery of using them. While I'm no expert, it's my understanding that some glazes contain lead, and personally, I don't want that in my tank :).
Thanks Mongo...I am in Canada and got them at the dollar store...does not say where they are made. Will take your advise and look at a gardening centre. Thanks for taking the time and advising.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Kitley said:
Thanks Mongo...I am in Canada and got them at the dollar store...does not say where they are made. Will take your advise and look at a gardening centre. Thanks for taking the time and advising.
My pleasure :)

New Threads